Wheaten chick? Maybe? Possibly?

LateBirdFarms

Crowing
Apr 17, 2020
Ontario
I didn't get my brahma chick, so I've started dreaming wheaten amerucana, or better yet... blue wheaten... but I've never had a wheaten bird, so I don't know if I'm fooling myself with the comparison I've done through google pics, honestly, so I'm looking for a bit of help from you experts!

Father was a lavender (or was is blue... same thing? I'm not sure anymore! I should have waited to ask until after I had slept a bit.. Anywaaaay... I'm not sure about he colour of the mothers... so just judging by the down colour, and the feathers coming in... is it at all a possibility that I may have gotten lucky with a wheaten? Or have I absolutely struck out?

A lot of the google pics has the wheaten with lighter legs that seem to grey out with age, is that really how it works or are they supposed to have slate legs from birth, period?

Blonde #1 - week 1
20201123_210957.jpg

Blonde #1 with Blonde #2 in the back
20201124_010207.jpg 20201124_010049.jpg

Blonde #2 (who's head stripe isnt as visible)
20201124_010113.jpg 20201123_210929.jpg

Babies at a day old
20201117_201719.jpg

Thank you for helping little ol me figure it out! (Or for smartening me up and telling me to just frikkin wait! That's okay too!)

Last edited:
My blue wheaten/wheaten (still not sure which) ameraucanas looked just like the yellow ones at that age. They all ended up being boys but here is a pic of one at around five months. But no matter what they end up I think they will be adorable! Look at their little muffs! Sorry I loves baby chicky muffs 🤣
Blue.jpg

I ended up with some wheaten araucana (English ones, so different to the ones you have in the US) from some partridge hatching eggs. It is recessive so if both parents are carrying it, it can pop out. Our wheaten chicks looked just like yours does. :fl

I ended up with some wheaten araucana (English ones, so different to the ones you have in the US) from some partridge hatching eggs. It is recessive so if both parents are carrying it, it can pop out. Our wheaten chicks looked just like yours does. :fl

I think I'll start practicing crossing my toes just to be safe! I'd be amazed if I were that lucky, but I'm so glad someone sees a similarity besides myself! :love

I don't suppose you have an example of one to compare? You're always so blunt with your answers, BUT rarely wrong! So... your reply is a bit soul crushing after seeing other replies that give me hope. :th
Sorry.
I don't quite believe they are wheaten based on markings. Wheaten birds are pale yellow as chicks. Their wings come in similarly, though.
I would expect them to be a light color, at least.

Back
Top Bottom