wheaten maran or blue wheaten maran

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Phage, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a wheaten maran roo or a blue wheaten maran roo.
    It was meant to be blue wheaten but how do you tell?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the hen I think is blue wheaten: Thanks [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    First photos are of a wheaten boy(not blue). If he were blue, the black areas would be gray or 'dull looking'. Example, neck would be like that but dots would be greyish instead of black, etc. If a parent was splash, such as splash roo over blue or wheaten hens, then he is genetically blue but sometimes blue turns out so dark... if it was blue wheaten over blue wheatens, then this guy is likely a 'black' verison of a blue x blue mating- expect 1/4 black, 1/2 blue and 1/4 splash....

Second one a girl, seems to be a blue- think I see a hint of gray close to the tail. Will need to spread out her wings and tail and see if the normally black areas are blackish(wheaten) or greyish(blue wheaten).

Cute birds, by the way!

3. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks Kev.
    So the roo could still be pure blue though looks black? , and if bred to the hen who I think IS blue will produce blue offspring, and not just wheaten?

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    No problem. I'd put him down as a wheaten, just to be on the safe side until proven otherwise as he's so 'dark'. If the girl is a blue wheaten, then yes will get blue wheatens out of this pair. 50% blue wheaten and 50% wheatens. Actually if the girl is a blue wheaten, then any wheaten roo will do, even if not out of blue wheaten breeding- blue is a simple dominant.

5. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    OK, I think I have got it ....

Hen is a keeper anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by