wheaten maran or blue wheaten maran

Phage

Mad Scientist
13 Years
Aug 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a wheaten maran roo or a blue wheaten maran roo.
It was meant to be blue wheaten but how do you tell?

38124_wmr4.jpg

38124_wmr5.jpg

38124_wmr3.jpg

the hen I think is blue wheaten: Thanks
big_smile.png

38124_wmhen1.jpg

First photos are of a wheaten boy(not blue). If he were blue, the black areas would be gray or 'dull looking'. Example, neck would be like that but dots would be greyish instead of black, etc. If a parent was splash, such as splash roo over blue or wheaten hens, then he is genetically blue but sometimes blue turns out so dark... if it was blue wheaten over blue wheatens, then this guy is likely a 'black' verison of a blue x blue mating- expect 1/4 black, 1/2 blue and 1/4 splash....

Second one a girl, seems to be a blue- think I see a hint of gray close to the tail. Will need to spread out her wings and tail and see if the normally black areas are blackish(wheaten) or greyish(blue wheaten).

Cute birds, by the way!

Thanks Kev.
So the roo could still be pure blue though looks black? , and if bred to the hen who I think IS blue will produce blue offspring, and not just wheaten?

No problem. I'd put him down as a wheaten, just to be on the safe side until proven otherwise as he's so 'dark'. If the girl is a blue wheaten, then yes will get blue wheatens out of this pair. 50% blue wheaten and 50% wheatens. Actually if the girl is a blue wheaten, then any wheaten roo will do, even if not out of blue wheaten breeding- blue is a simple dominant.

Back
Top Bottom