Wheaten Marans and Egg Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pfmoore17, Jan 13, 2010.

1. pfmoore17

pfmoore17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    CT
    Hi, I am new to the forum.
    I have 8 Wheaten Marans Hens, born last July 17. They have not laid any eggs yet and I don't expect them to at this point since it is so cold here in Connecticut. Based on others experience, when can I expect to see some egg action? What can I do to "entice" them. They have "heated water" and a well enclosed house, but no heat. Thanks.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Does the house get light? Light is necessary for egg production. I know it's hard to wait (especially when you are coming up on 6 months), but they will lay when they are ready. You can try to give them some higher protein, maybe that will help.

ETA: And [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2010
  3. pfmoore17

Jan 13, 2010
    CT
    Cleaned their cage today, first warm day in weeks and there was a nice chocolate brown egg. The hens were checking it out and seem were as surprised as me!

4. ISSOLA

ISSOLA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    North Shore, MA
    Quote:Hehe...just when you were asking..... it always happens when your patience is at its brink....[​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats! [​IMG]

6. pfmoore17

Jan 13, 2010
    CT
    Found a second one this afternoon!
    Now I got to teach them to lay in the nest!

7. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    [​IMG] and congrats on your first eggs! [​IMG]
    When mine first started laying I didn't have a nest box yet. I found two on the ground and got the nest boxes the next day and stuck a golf ball in it, and now they lay in the nest. It was like magic hahahaha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by