Wheaten Marans/BLR Wyandottes Incubating Blog

Derrick

Crowing
14 Years
Dec 22, 2009
Hill Country Texas
This will be my first attempt to incubate eggs. I decided to provide a photo blog here of the attempt. I just got the eggs in by mail from Backwoods Poultry Farm. Buddy was very nice and sent three Wyandottes as a favor with no guarantees do to the flock's eggs not being tested with two new roosters.

Here is what we have so far.

Box in a box

46021_img_3800.jpg

Final box open

46021_img_3801.jpg

Eggs were individually wrapped in bubble wrap. Here is a shot after they have all been taken out.

46021_img_3802.jpg

46021_img_3803.jpg

I have them up in a closet for the next 24 hrs before setting in the incubator. The eggs are small end down.

Do I need to turn them during the next 24hr? They are kind of almost straight up and down in an egg carton as shown.

I am only keeping hens from this hatch and I will be keeping only 4 or so if I get them. The rest of them I need to find homes for. If anybody lives in Florida and is interested in the extra's, let me know and follow along on this thread for updates......

Derrick

Wow nice packing job!! Those are nice dark eggs for Wheaten Marans
thumbsup.gif
I prop my egg cartons up on one end with a couple of dvd boxes or video game boxes/cases stacked. Then change sides every 4 hrs or so while they are resting.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info.

I just went downstairs and put a paper back and another thin book under one end and will cont to alternate sides.

Actually, I think its best to rest them for 24 hours without any shifting. Im sure they had a rough ride, and if you have some broken air cells, you have a better chance of them developing if you dont move them for a day.

The point of them setting for 12 or 24 hours (people do both) is to let the air cell settle. Once they go in the incubator, then they need to be turned. They can get a really rough ride traveling.

OK.... The don't move them outnumbers the move them.
wink.png
For now, I will let them sit. I have two options. I can put them in the incubator either in the morning at 5-6am or when I get home from work at 5pm..... I want them to hatch during the weekend so I'm thinking when I get home from work. That way I increase the odds of me being home for the hatch.

Back
Top Bottom