Wheaten Marans/BLR Wyandottes Incubating Blog

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Derrick, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Derrick

Derrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West Central, FL
    This will be my first attempt to incubate eggs. I decided to provide a photo blog here of the attempt. I just got the eggs in by mail from Backwoods Poultry Farm. Buddy was very nice and sent three Wyandottes as a favor with no guarantees do to the flock's eggs not being tested with two new roosters.

Here is what we have so far.

Box in a box

[​IMG]

Final box open

[​IMG]

Eggs were individually wrapped in bubble wrap. Here is a shot after they have all been taken out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have them up in a closet for the next 24 hrs before setting in the incubator. The eggs are small end down.

Do I need to turn them during the next 24hr? They are kind of almost straight up and down in an egg carton as shown.

I am only keeping hens from this hatch and I will be keeping only 4 or so if I get them. The rest of them I need to find homes for. If anybody lives in Florida and is interested in the extra's, let me know and follow along on this thread for updates......

Derrick

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Wow nice packing job!! Those are nice dark eggs for Wheaten Marans [​IMG] I prop my egg cartons up on one end with a couple of dvd boxes or video game boxes/cases stacked. Then change sides every 4 hrs or so while they are resting.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  3. Derrick

Dec 22, 2009
    West Central, FL
    Thanks so much for the info.

I just went downstairs and put a paper back and another thin book under one end and will cont to alternate sides.

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Actually, I think its best to rest them for 24 hours without any shifting. Im sure they had a rough ride, and if you have some broken air cells, you have a better chance of them developing if you dont move them for a day.

5. Derrick

Dec 22, 2009
    West Central, FL
    hmmm... Now I'm confused [​IMG] .........................

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    The point of them setting for 12 or 24 hours (people do both) is to let the air cell settle. Once they go in the incubator, then they need to be turned. They can get a really rough ride traveling.

7. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I'm planning on getting hatching eggs so I will be watching this post closely! Thanks for posting it!!! [​IMG]

8. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    Yeah, they seem to do better without moving them while they rest after the trip.

9. Derrick

Dec 22, 2009
    West Central, FL
    OK.... The don't move them outnumbers the move them. [​IMG] For now, I will let them sit. I have two options. I can put them in the incubator either in the morning at 5-6am or when I get home from work at 5pm..... I want them to hatch during the weekend so I'm thinking when I get home from work. That way I increase the odds of me being home for the hatch.

10. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I have BLRWs and BCMs in right now due on Wednesday [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by