wheaten marans chick sexing help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by berkeleysprings, Apr 5, 2009.

1. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

can any one tell if there roo or hens ?
    pic one
    [​IMG]

pic two
    [​IMG]
    pic 3
    [​IMG]

2. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Wheatens can be sexed at about 4 weeks of age.
    I may be wrong but the roos would be lightest color and the pullets would be darker almost reddish tinted.
    If this is right you may have 3 roos.
    cute chicks were did you get your eggs?
    how was the color ? I'm looking into getting me some wheatens soon.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  3. berkeleysprings

i got the eggs from a lady on ebay julie or something they were a number 4 egg I have a fresh batch of pure davis lines in the incubator and some under a broody hen and they were a very dark egg and she put a few blue wheatens in the mix the color of them were 6 or 7 it seems

4. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I bet that Julie is the Julie from Ar, she is a member her call name is the farmer wife.
    I tried to get eggs lined up from bev Davis she told me she had her list full for the year.
    I have found 2 breeders one in Oklahoma and the other is in Tenn.
    the Oklahoma breeder has Davis line hens over a roo that came from a very dark #9 egg
    the Tenn breeders has Ron Presley line.
    Looking at them again the first one may be a pullet.

5. berkeleysprings

well i hope to get a nice bunch of birds from the 15 eggs hatching on 16th or 17th of april . i have some in incubator and some under a broody hen . i would like around 7 or so birds (hens) and a rooster

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It's actually the opposite of what was said in another answer. The roos have the darker color and the pullets are lighter. The roos coloring in their wings usually starts showing up before the pullets coloring does. At least that has been my experience with mine.

7. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I have no clue, but...

Great pictures! What kind of camera do you have???

8. berkeleysprings

its a sony 62 mm its medium format

9. berkeleysprings

i thought it was the darker wing feathers but i thought id ask to see whar every one else says

10. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    1st one has no dark markers on wings, and the other two do have dark markings. This may mean that either 1. you have 1 rooster and 2 pullets, or 2. you have 2 roosters and 1 pullet. So either dark wings=female and lighter wings=male, or the other way around. [​IMG]
    cute chicks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by