1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wheaten Marans - photo of egg included

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fun monitor, Jul 30, 2008.

1. fun monitor

fun monitor Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    southern california
    I'm still not sure what this girl is, but with the white legs, I'm hoping she's a Marans. She just doesn't have the coloring that I've seen in any pics of Marans and I'm starting to get concerned. (I've had a lot of chicks from my sexed runs turn out to be roos [​IMG]) I'm also getting excited though because her comb is starting to really pink up and I hope she'll be laying soon.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    She is too gold to be wheaton. She looks like a BO with black in the tail.
    Looking at it a second time, the legs have red shading so possibly a New hampshire or a BO x RIR cross.

3. fun monitor

Mar 30, 2008
    southern california
    Well, I guess the color was off in the photo because lookie what I got today!

[​IMG]

She's ridiculously gold on her neck and head, like metallic gold. Yellow, buttery, sparkly gold. Now I get to wait to see if the other Penedesenca will lay!

4. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Oh, cool, Laura!! Congratulations!

5. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    COOL

6. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Whatever she is she is pretty!

My 2 Isabrown hens lay the same colour of egg, they look so cool in the egg carton.

I am desperately waiting for my black pene pullet to start laying........ I am not hopeful that they will be dark dark, but who knows. I already got my name on the list for chick/adults from Germany imported Show quality Barnevelders(a line selected for their dark eggs and laying ability too) next year, and those lay an amazing dark egg.

I will get dark eggs into my egg basket one way or another.

Anna

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    My wheaten penedesenca lays light eggs, too, but they sure are pretty!
    [​IMG]

8. fun monitor

Mar 30, 2008
    southern california
    So is it a Marans and a Penedesenca? I'm confused...

We also just like the color...not planning on winning any awards these birds or eggs [​IMG] Makes for a pretty basket.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It's not a wheaten marans....that much I know. I've got wheatens and they don't look anything like that. Maybe a buff orp mix?

10. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    I agree that it is not a wheaten marans. It does look like a cross between a buff orpington and a marans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by