WHeaten Marans Roo x RIR hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rsarns, Dec 1, 2011.

1. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    I was setting my incubators for hatching some Birchen and Wheaten Marans, and I had my WHeaten Roo in with my layer flock. So my kids grabbed 6 eggs and said they wanted to hatch them also. Well yesterday was day 21. SO I had 3 RIR (I hope they were anyway) I have so far 2 golden chicks hatched. Of the 3 White Leghhorn eggs I have a very fluffy white chick. Just curious if anyone nows what they will look like when they grow up? The Wheaten Roo came from a very dark egg and is a very handsome young roo. Oh and so far I have hatched out fo shipped eggs, 7 Brichen Marans, 3 Blue Birchen Marans and 5 Wheaten Marans. Still time for the other eggs....

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. rsarns

Apr 25, 2011
    Well the wheaten Marans over the white leghorn chick is a very pretty white chick with black flecks (only 4 or 5) with lightly feathered shanks. The Wheaten Marans over the RIR chicks are a golden color, with no shank feathers. Curious to what they will grow up like, they will be going into the layer pen, should get good eggs production. It is one way to check the fertility of this roo while my Wheatens get old enough to breed. I have my BCM Marans Roo in with the layers right now... I think I will throw a few of the eggs into the 'bator in about 2 weeks...

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The Wheaten Marans over the RIR

As for what these chicks will grow up to look like, Where did you get the R.I. Red hens from, are they Breeder or hatchery stock.

Most hatchery Rhode Island Reds/ Production Reds are Wheaten based and very light in color so the chicks should be the same, now if the R.I. Reds are from a breeder then the chicks should turn out dark Red in color, not as dark as a good Exhibition Red but still darker than a Hatchery R.I. Red/ Production Red and should have Black tails and may have some Black ticking in the neck feathers.

Chris​

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  4. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Wheaten X RIR-type red will just give you more RIR-type reds (though they won't be genetically pure reds).

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:If you are using Production/Hatchery type R.I. Reds this is some what true but if you are using Exhibition Reds you will a lot of the nice dark rich color along with type and a few other traits.

Remember Hatchery R.I. Reds are Wheaten Based where as the Exhibition R.I. Reds are Black Breasted Red Based.

Chris

6. rsarns

Apr 25, 2011
    I gave all but 1 away, and will take pictures of her soon and post. She is very pretty, dark red, with copper hackle feathers and the wheaten black on the tail. She has a very pleasan disposition like my RIR's, I am very impressed with her and she lays a nice dark egg. .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by