wheaten marans roosters

berkeleysprings

Songster
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
Berkeleysprings West Virginia
i have many to butcher and i was thinking of skinning them rather then pulling feathers , iv never dub chickens but i have dressed and butchered over 75 deer in my career so i think i can clean 10 roosters i hope i hope !
buti was wondering have u all skined the birds insted if plucking ?
thanks for your thoughts

Never seen a "skinned" chicken... probably for a reason.
Seen skinned breasts and skinned thigh meat at the grocery store. Skinned wings would fall apart.
When we go dove hunting we just rip the breast out... but they are perfect size for a jalapeno and a bacon wrap.
If you do try and skin them I would get three sheets to the wind first so you have a valid excuse if it doesn't pan out.

I just skinned my first bird. (Had to -- long story short, it had some antiseptic on the skin). Anyway, I took the breast, thighs and legs. Didn't bother with the wings or back. If you skin, you'll probably be doing what I did.

It is ok to skin them, but a lot of people perfer leaving the skin on for multiple reasons. I processed two the other night that I skinned. The main reason being that it wasn't worth the hassle of scaulding for only 2 birds. Me and all of my hunting buddies always either skin of breast out whatever fowl we take, mainly geese, ducks and pheasant. You do waist quite a bit of meat by breasting out, so I prefer to skin.

My step-sister skins them. I prefer to have them plucked but I have a processor doing it. I do grouse but I just pop the breast out.

Personally I think it all comes down to how you plan on cooking them. If you roast all of your birds then take the time to pluck them. but if you do stir fry or sauces and other wet styles of cooking then skin them out. I will only skin if I do one or two birds at a time. I like to do stir fry and curries, so skin is actually not worth the effort for me.

It is all preference.

Back
Top Bottom