wheaten marans X Other marans???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bald k9, Aug 11, 2011.

1. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Hey all, I was reading somewhere [forgot where], but it said something about you can breed any of the marans together, and not get mixed chicks, just blue or black or white etc,no mixes, but I thought I read that you shouldnt put wheatens with black coppers,or whites,etc, because they will be mixed chicks, , is this true?? what does it do to the chicks? thanks again

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You really shouldn't unless it is, say, Blue Wheaten x Wheaten or Blue x Splash or something.

It creates birds that look like Wheatens, but instead, because of the recessive Wheaten they actually carry the gene but do not express it. They will mimic Black Coppers or Blue Coppers or whatever you crossed them with, and in future generations will throw those colors. Also, you'll ruin egg color.

Say I bred a Wheatie x Black Copper, I got offspring that looked like Black Copper, then I sold some to a guy who bred them as Black Coppers, since they look it and I didn't know it would cause problems, so he bred his, and gets random Wheatens coming of his supposed pure Black Copper flock. By then it would be difficult and take time to track down all who is carrying the recessive Wheaten.

3. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Ok that makes it more clear ! thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by