Wheaten Old English Hen and Plymouth Barred Rock Roo cute baby pics!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MysteryChik, Sep 3, 2016.

1. MysteryChik

MysteryChik Chillin' With My Peeps

this is the outcome...8 hatched today. They are ALL black with some yellow.. Gonna post pics with them and Mama.. so tell me.. Does this mean their still mix birds bc the mama is a wheaten OEM, and their daddy is Barred Plymouth Rock.. bc they are all Black.. none of them look like the Mama, like her last group of chicks did. there was a variety of different kinds.. these pretty much all look the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Yes, they're still mixed... the reason they all look the same is because their father is double barred so he passed on a barring gene to each one of his offspring... black with head dots means they'll be barred...

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

4. MysteryChik

They'll look barred but will they get as big as their daddy ya think or stay smaller like their mama? He's HUGE. Oh and at what age can I tell if they are pullets or roos (earliest). New to chicken raising but it took me a while with the last group to be able to tell. I could tell by their saddle feathers...but they were MONTHS old by then... THanks in advance :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  5. MysteryChik

They'll look barred but will they get as big as their daddy ya think or stay smaller like their mama? He's HUGE. Oh and at what age can I tell if they are pullets or roos (earliest). New to chicken raising but it took me a while with the last group to be able to tell. I could tell by their saddle feathers...but they were MONTHS old by then... THanks in advance :)

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    A black barred rooster will pretty much always give you black barred chicks. Mixing him with a non-black hen can give some colored leakage on the chicks as they age.

Mixing different size chickens usually gives offspring that are in the middle, size wise.

You'll have to wait for combs, leg thickness, stance, etc to sex them. You should have a decent idea by 6-7 weeks.

7. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

X2

Also, when mixing different sizes, the egg helps determine the size... like donrae said, they'll be about medium but since they came from a small hens eggs they'll usually be on the smaller end of medium... if it was a bantam cock over large hens those would end up on the larger end of medium... :)

And in a few weeks you can take pics and post them on the what gender/breed forum and lots of people will help you figure out which are which...

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by