Wheaten Penedesenca Chicks Hatched!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mediazeal, Dec 23, 2009.

1. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    4 out of 7 eggs that are still possible have hatched. 3 still in the incubator.
    Here are the babies when I first took them out of the incubator on their way to the brooder.

Wheaten Penedesenca chicks
    [​IMG]

2. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    o wow 2 totally different shades 2 lights 2 darker, what are the last 3 going to be?

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Just adorable.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    What adorable little fluff butts.

5. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Quote:no idea if the last 3 are going to hatch, there are no pips yet.
    They are all Wheaten Penedesencas. At 2 weeks the boys will start getting black feathers. The girls stay buff color. I have no idea right now if the tawny ones are boys or not. But there is clear color difference and I'm betting it is what sex they are. I've just never had Wheaten Penes before so don't know which is which.
    Keep your fingers crossed for my last 3 eggs. I started with 13, tossed 6 clears. When I candled at day 18 one of them looked clear but I left it in. 7 looked possible. of those 7, four have hatched.
    They are on day 22 right now. First one hatched late in the day on day 21, the rest all after midnight into day 22. Last one hatched around noon.
    come on babies!!!
    Will be interesting to see if they can eventually be sexed by color at birth. I just don't know this breed yet.

6. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Send them to me............NOW!

7. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Quote:no idea if the last 3 are going to hatch, there are no pips yet.
    They are all Wheaten Penedesencas. At 2 weeks the boys will start getting black feathers. The girls stay buff color. I have no idea right now if the tawny ones are boys or not. But there is clear color difference and I'm betting it is what sex they are. I've just never had Wheaten Penes before so don't know which is which.
    Keep your fingers crossed for my last 3 eggs. I started with 13, tossed 6 clears. When I candled at day 18 one of them looked clear but I left it in. 7 looked possible. of those 7, four have hatched.
    They are on day 22 right now. First one hatched late in the day on day 21, the rest all after midnight into day 22. Last one hatched around noon.
    come on babies!!!
    Will be interesting to see if they can eventually be sexed by color at birth. I just don't know this breed yet.

Congrats on your babies!! [​IMG] Since I aquired Penedesencas, I've been on a mission to learn as much as possible about them. I thought I'd share [​IMG] I find that the babies do grow QUITE quickly and they are FAST~LOL When you move them around, hang on tight. [​IMG]
    http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Penes/BRKPenes.html

Here is another super Pene site recently sent to me by another breeder in response to my questions on standards for the breed [​IMG]

http://www.freewebs.com/penedesenca/penedesencastandard.htm

8. elabraleon

elabraleon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Did you ever find out if the 2 with the darker spots were the boys?

9. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I have a 1/2 Wpene 1/2 cockoo marans roo.
    He is beautiful and I just love him.
    Really sweet photos....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by