Wheatens vs Blue Wheatens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Want Less, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Want Less

Want Less Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    We are wanting to add some wheaten marans to our flock this Spring. We have the option to get wheatens or blue wheatens. We have BCM now and love the egg color. However egg color + the ability to sex chicks at 2 weeks is what is drawing us more toward wheatens for next year instead of adding more BCM. We would eventually like to start breeding in the future (for our own egg use, not for selling) and being able to sex chicks that early would be a great help. Plus I also read that wheatens are more likely to naturally lay longer into the winter than BCM.

Are these same traits also found in blue wheatens? Or should I just ask for pure wheatens?

Any info comparing wheatens, blue wheatens and splash wheatens would be appreciated :)

2. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:The Wheaten Marans are not as good at laying as the BC. Sexing the chicks is about the same around three weeks you can tell on either. Most BC will lay a darker egg than a wheaten.

3. Orpygal

Orpygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Eastern Panhandle WV
    Quote:When you say not as good at laying....do you mean amount or color?

4. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:When you say not as good at laying....do you mean amount or color?

Both

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Blue Wheatens are much more rare, otherwise most are pretty much the same as Wheatens.

It is true though, most but not all lay less than Black Coppers but in most cases their egg color is just as good. Then again, it's all about looking for the right stock.

Personally I prefer (Blue) Wheatens because they're prettier, much more rare, and still have all the great traits of Black Coppers. Some do indeed lay paler eggs but not all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by