Wheaton Blue Wheaton Ameraucana cross and Cream Legbar cross please help.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Three Girls Farms, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Three Girls Farms

Three Girls Farms Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2011
    My birds leg bands all broke off so I now do not know who belongs to who. Here is the situation. I have 2 Roos, 1 Cream Legbar and 1 Wheaton Ameraucana. The CLB was in with an Olive Egger in hopes of getting Spearmint Eggers and the Ameraucana was in with a Salmon Faverolle=Favaucanas, a Blue Wheaton Ameraucana= the same, and a Splash Maran=F1 Olive Eggers. Here is my problem. I can not tell who came from which roo although I am pretty sure I have it narrowed down and then I want to know is if any bird has the coloring of the father roo then it too would be a cockerel/roo correct? Someone please help?!?! I will try to post pics shortly, but as of now I think that I have 7 of them and then I have 1 bird that looks like a barred, but have no idea how it's markings would be as such since none of the birds bred was a barred.
    Please advise!

Thank you,
    Jennifer

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Legbars are barred, so the barred chick had to have been fathered by the Legbar.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on junebuggena's post.

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    As I understand it, all offspring from the legbar roo will be barred although it is difficult to see the barring on white birds, so if you don't have any white birds, the barred bird is the only offspring from your cream legbar roo..

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This is true if the Legbar is correctly bred and has two copies of the barring gene. With the huge popularity of this breed and the quality of some of the birds I see being sold as CCL, I wouldn't guarantee it to carry over in real life, though. It's true with those roosters any barred chicks came from the CCL, but if he's not pure for barring he could also throw non-barred chicks.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

7. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Ah! I didn't realise that this was such a problem. I guess, because legbars are more common here in the UK, there is not the financial incentive to breed and pass something off as a legbar that isn't pure.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That would be very refreshing. You wouldn't believe the birds some folks claim are Legbars here.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Donrae

10. Dorthia

Dorthia Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2015
    Hi everyone ! We are looking for a Favacauna breeder. If you know of one can you Private Message us the info. We really would appreciate it. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by