Wheaton Maran x Black Copper Maran

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silverstedt, Oct 2, 2011.

1. silverstedt

silverstedt New Egg

Jun 6, 2009
    How do they look?

Thanks
    Suzan

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I would think very messy. Why would you want to do that????? [​IMG] You'd probably see a lot of red trash color under the neck, a lot of red brown on the black copper marans on unexpected places. .... I have bbs marans, wheaten marans and black copper marans but I wouldn't want to cross them.

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:they will look like Black copper Marans because Er(Birchen gene) is Dominant over eWh(Dominant Wheaten).. basicaly tha'ts the only difference between them as they are wildtype looking any ways...[​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, they'll look like Black Coppers.

Unless you know what you're doing or do not plan on selling the offspring, don't do it!

5. silverstedt

silverstedt New Egg

Jun 6, 2009
    I was really tired when i posted the question, here comes the explanation.. When the chickens hatched we thought we hade organized them all right so we couldnĀ“t mix them. Colors and breeds... We had also put in eggs from crossbreeds. So now 3 weeks later we now realized that we have mixed the crossbreeds with the Maran chickens. And they are Wheaten + Blue copper, not black.. My mistake. Its not that we wanted that, we just did that this time.. The rooster is Blue copper and the hens Wheaten. So now we dont really know what is what as they look the same as some of the crossbreeds, but we think we now. Ill post some pictures for you to look at.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. silverstedt

silverstedt New Egg

Jun 6, 2009
    No more answers? [​IMG]

7. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    If you are serious about breeding Marans cull all these and start over and keep the eggs marked and seperate them at hatch and mark so you are positive about what they are out of.

8. silverstedt

silverstedt New Egg

Jun 6, 2009
    Jesus, isnt it okay to try this cross one time? I have blue and black copper together and wheaten in there own place usually. It just happend this one time... My bad

9. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    What Snowbird is recommending is 100% true. What you want to do is completely up to you.
    Don't hate me for siding with him, the issue here is that later on down the road, in a few generations, whoever has the offspring will say "I have Marans", and when those offspring are sold, and they throw out some freaky looking chicks, that's where all the headaches start.
    The freaky combs, the coloring may be off, all those things that breeders work so hard for to breed a good bird, now has a defect that takes a long time to figure out, and correct. Sorry

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  10. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    You can do whatever you want since they are yours and you feed them LOL! Just make sure to let people know (if you sell them) that they are mixed not pure. I think alot of people are dissappointed when they buy some that are advertised as one thing and get another. There are already alot of bcms that have wheaten in them because people couldn't tell the difference between a wheaten or bcm rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by