Wheel ideas for my tractor coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ajlynco, Sep 25, 2011.

1. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    I'm building a tractor coop for my 12 hens. As you might think, to house that many hens comfortably, It's gonna be larger than the run-o-the-mill tractor. It's finish size will be approximately 4X10. I'm going to build it solid enough that it doesn't work itself apart by constantly moving it. Can any BYC geniuses (and I mean that in the most sincere way) give or show me some ideas for wheel applications? I'm thinking some kind of assembly where I can raise and lower 2 wheels on an axle in the center of the tractor, but I'm open for any and all suggestions. [​IMG]

2. hensofhallora

hensofhallora Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    I wish i had a really easy answer for you..... then I would have tried it myself! I have tried a few different designs and non really worked. I found the problem was having the weight of the shed on the wheels when you want to move it but then removing the weight when it is stationary. the best design i have seen was a shed on sled like rails. the shed would slide along all but the roughest ground. sorry, not much help,

3. brahmapapa

brahmapapa Chillin' With My Peeps

build it on a small utility trailer so you have large wheels for easy movement.

4. flyboy129

flyboy129 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    I like the utility trailer idea. I was also thinking large solid wheelbarrow tires.

5. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    We got lawnmower wheels at lowes. We put 3 on each side. They are about 2 inches below the boards.

Our tractor is huge. 8x14 so it still takes 2 people to move it. But with 2 it is easy.

I have pictures of it on another thread (great reason to have a moveable coop). I will bump it. I can't post pictures when I on the iPhone or I would just post here

6. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    Sorry babyrnlc, I'm new at this....what is a 'bump', also what thread are your pics on? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  7. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:Bumping is posting to move it up. It's says "a great reason to have a moveable coop/run"

8. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    What about wheels like those on trailers that attach to the car. I mean the wheel you raise and lower when you hook/unhook from the vehicle.

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Here's what I used on one of mine. It raises in the picture shown, flip the handle back to lower.
    [​IMG]

10. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    We have a movable coop right now. Its 4x6 or 8. Designed it like a wheel Barrow. So two tires on one side then two people on one to lift and wheel it to wherever you desire [​IMG] The girls like the ride.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by