Wheels/axles for chicken tractors?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Where do those of you with "chicken tractors" get your wheels & axles? The "sniper tower" coop I'm making for three bantam breeds I'd like to be mobile...it does weigh over 400lbs as a shell...so the tires would have to be VERY sturdy & durable....thanks!

2. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Lawn mower tires are awesome! My dad works on riding mowers so he has friends that have push mower tires and I got a pair from him. You might be able to use a big bolt for your tires.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

I wonder if they would be big enough, though?? This thing is 4' w and 6' long...and that's without runs....

4. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I used gate wheels from TSC:
    [​IMG]

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Ohhhh....those may work! Thanks!

6. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    as long as you get the metal centered wheels(not plastic) they should be alright.
    The bigger the wheel the easier it will roll.
    For axles I use carriage bolts with washers and nuts on each side of the wheels. Will
    [​IMG]

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Oh, that is good info to know! Thank you!

8. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Yeah those are the kind of wheels I was talking about. They are really strong.

Equibling---Maybe you could post a pic. Why is it 400 lbs? At least you know it is stable!

9. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

I too have been trying to locate durable tires for our ark. The ark itself is 4'x8' (not including a separate removable run extension we have). We'll keep trying to hunt down strong metal wheels. My husband and I can move the ark with the two of us, but wheel will make things a lot easier!

10. Don

Don Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Oil City, PA
    try craigslist or freecycle for free lawnmower parts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by