wheels, on chicken tractors

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by the Pollo Loco, Dec 10, 2009.

1. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    I'm looking for some ideas on how wheels, and steering mech. have been attached on tractors. I've seen some before that I've liked but haven't been able to find it. thanks for the pics [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We have a store here in AZ... "Arizona Casters" that sells everything imaginable... I'll bet you could find something online...

3. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I put a set of retractable wheels on my tractor. Small wheel barrow tires mounted on a pipe that could rotate down deploying the tires and raising the tractor a few inches. They then locked in place. The tractor could then be moved around, when it got to the new spot, unlock the pivot and retract the tire.

You can also use a frieght dolley and a wedge.

4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Twentynine nailed it. I would do same. You might investigate the never flat tires now available. Not hard rubber either, but feel like correctly inflated pneumatic tire if you squeeze one. Advantage obvious as will last the life of the coop and beyond. Even sunlight has little to no effect on them, unlike pneumatic tires. [​IMG]

Depending on weight of tractor, you might consider mounting the wheels in from the end somewhat so that it weighs next to nothing when you pick up other end to move it. Would require independent mounting of each wheel on it's own stub-axle as opposed to a single axle for both if mounted on end of unit. Just a thought.

5. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Quote:Gsim, I want to do that on MY tractor. I found a nice mounting idea in the coop section, and I'll be putting the wheels under the tractor. My question: is there a particular formula to use to decide where under the tractor the wheels would go to achieve the balance of front to back?

Did that make sense? It's probably fairly clear that I don't know what I'm talking about![​IMG]

6. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    thank you "twentynine" this is what I was having in mind. Do you have any pics available? does anyone have any pics? -thanks

7. Ken H

Ken H Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Here's mine. It's built on a small(4'x6') utility trailer. It can be moved around by hand but i usually just hitch it to my vehicle.

[​IMG]

8. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Quote:Yes! I do!

First pic is close up of the pivot and holding pin.

[​IMG]

Next on is of the tractor with the wheels in the up position.

[​IMG]

Next is wheels down, tractor ready to roll.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by