1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wheezing and gurgling

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Whits End, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Whits End

Whits End Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2014
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Easter Eggers, there are a few with the symptoms. They are three years old, just finishing a molt. These birds are new to me, brought them home two nights ago.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Wheezing, gurgling, and humming (for lack of a better word) with each breath. No other visible signs, eating, drinking, laying.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    I brought them home two nights ago and did not notice any symptoms, I didn't get to spend any time with them yesterday so didn't notice, noticed a few of the birds are making the sounds tonight.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    Yes
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Layer pellets, some sprouted grain and water
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. All poop looks normal.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? no treatment, just noticed tonight.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Would like to treat myself, if I can't treat I'll have to cull.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Birds are in a heated coop (heated to about 2C, it's getting down to -double digits (Celsius) at night, deep litter pine shavings, poop bars under roosts, cleaned off at least every second day.

I just picked these birds up from a friend who needed to thin her flock, they are about three years old, just going through a molt, though I'm getting some eggs from them, two and three on the last two days (that I've had them) from 7 birds. I just noticed today that some are wheezing, and this evening when I put them to bed I noticed more were wheezing, some are vocalizing with each breath, sometimes they gurgle. They came from a completely unheated coop, so mine is a bit warmer. They have access to the run during the day, not sure if they are all using it or not.

Hopefully someone can help me...

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It sounds like your newly acquired birds have a respiratory disease. The only way to tell for sure exactly what disease it is, is to get bloodwork or necropsy performed on your sickest bird.

3. Whits End

Whits End Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2014
    What kind of treatment can I try?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by