Wheezing and malnourished hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zdl1991, Jun 27, 2011.

1. zdl1991

zdl1991 New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    Hello,

I came home to my parents' from university not too long ago, and they've got a sick leghorn hen. She's always been somewhat of a strange-looking hen, but recently her comb has been droopy and pale, and she's very lethargic. The main things I've noticed from picking her up and checking her out are:

- I can't find her crop at all. With other hens it's pretty easy to find, but with this hen, the ONLY thing I can feel in front is the clavicle, and it seems to be protruding from the skin quite a bit. I've watched her eat, and she's usually one of the first to gobble up a yogurt gruel I make for the chickens, but I still can't find her crop. If it matters, her neck is always drawn into her body -- I've really never seen her extend her neck. Even when she eats, she has to get real close, and just bend for the food.

- She's wheezing. She doesn't breathe this way all the time, but she starts to do it when I pick her up. I can't hear any actual wheezing or rattling when she does it, but she opens her mouth and seems like she's trying really hard to breathe, not like the "I'm hot and trying to cool off" panting. At first, I thought she was just spooked of me, but then I noticed she does this weird breathing when she eats -- she has to stop eating for roughly 5-10 seconds, breathes in this weird way, and then continues. I also notice she does it as she's roosting for the night.

Other than these two things and the pale/droopy comb, I haven't noticed anything abnormal. Is she malnourished, or is there some sort of other problem? With any of the other hens, I've never seen or felt the clavicle protrude so far and I can always find their crop. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    could she have worms? has her neck always been that way and her habit of breathing? just a crazy guess but could she have a neck deformity that makes it hard fro her to eat and breath, say like wry neck. I seemed to say this to every post, but give her some electrlyte solution in her water for a boost it may help to stimulate her to eat.

3. zdl1991

zdl1991 New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    I've kept a close watch on her poop and I haven't seen any worms in them -- that's still not the best indicator of whether or not she has worms, though. Her neck has been that way for as long as I can remember, and she's about two years old now. I'm not sure about her breathing, though... I haven't really paid attention to it until I noticed her pale/droopy comb and her lethargy. She seems to eat and drink normally, though, I'm not sure why I can't find her crop.

There's gatorade in the waterers outside, something all the chickens will enjoy.

I'll see if I can post a picture up later.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by