wheezing and shaking head?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by omelette's mom, Sep 22, 2010.

1. omelette's mom

omelette's mom New Egg

May 4, 2009
    One of our chickens is wheezing and shaking her head? Any ideas what this might be? And what do we do?

Thanks!

2. huck

huck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    Maryland
    Is there any discharge around the eyes or nose?

Isolate her and watch her/the other chickens. There are a few serious chicken respiratory problems that could cause this.... but it could also be just a cold or in response to dust in the air.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Here is a helpful poultry diseases website with diagnosis charts at the bottom (there is a shaking head and respiratory disease part there):

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    She could just have something stuck in her crop. A blade of grass, a feather or ? One of my hens was shaking her head and had a rattle in her chest for about 3 weeks. I did the oil for crop impaction etc. but still didn't go away. I was beginning to wonder if something else was going on. Other than that, she was fine. It finally just went away. That was 2 mos ago. I'm thinking she must of had something stuck in her crop.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  5. omelette's mom

omelette's mom New Egg

May 4, 2009
    Thanks all - she seems fine today. Must have just been something stuck somewhere! [​IMG]

Got lots of good info for when/if something worse does happen - so thank you!

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

omelette's mom :

Thanks all - she seems fine today. Must have just been something stuck somewhere! [​IMG]

Got lots of good info for when/if something worse does happen - so thank you!

Oh wonderful!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by