Wheezing and sneezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Silver Hill, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Silver Hill

Silver Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2015
    Armuchee, GA
    Hi folks...I have i5 Buff Orps. 18-months-old and 15 Buffs 18-weeks-old. They are free-ranging together and go to separate coops at night and I was about to have them all going to the same coop.
    One of my 18-week-old pullets has what I think is a breathing problem. When she inhales there is a raspy growl type sound and when she exhales it sounds like a kitten meowing. I gave her a little Nutri-Drench by mouth and I swabbed some VetRX into the roof of her mouth and the Q-tip came out with a little blood on it. I have her isolated but really don't know what to treat her for. If you know anything about her symptoms or how to treat her, please reply.

I went to check this morning and one of the older hens was in a nest box with the same symptoms and several of the other hens are make a sneezing noise. I have two other flocks on the farm EE and CCL that free range in different areas and they seem fine now.
    These are my first sick chickens so if I need antibiotics I need to know how to treat the whole flock or other meds that you could suggest.
    Thanks!

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Sounds like it might have bronchitis

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Respiratory diseases are very contagious in chickens, and while antibiotics could possibly help with a bacterial disease, they won't do much good in viruses. Is there any sneezing, gasping, or nasal drainage? If you see any bloody mucus from the beaks and gasping, I would suspect ILT, a contagious virus. Do you have neighbors nearby with poultry, since your sick chickens could affect others? Having one or two birds tested is always a good thing to do, and especially if one dies. A necropsy by the state vet or poultry lab would be even better. Antibiotics such as tetracycline or Tylan have been used to treat bacterial respiratory diseases, but in the coming year, they will not be available in oral powder forms. Here is a good link to read about MG, ILT, coryza, IB, and others: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  4. Silver Hill

Sep 29, 2015
    Armuchee, GA
    Thanks.

Thank you for the link! so far I haven't seen any watery discharge from the eyes and nostrils, just the wheezing and sneezing. Treating the roof of the mouth with the VetRX of the older hen showed a small amount of blood on the Q-tip also but the first bird I treated the blood was cleared up when treated this morning. No other chickens close by. I'll try to get one to a vet on Monday morning. As a precaution do you think I should try to get some antibiotics and could you tell me how to administer as in food,water or orally?
    Thanks for your help.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    For treating only 1 bird, I would use the antibiotic Tylan 50 injectable, given 1/2 ml orally for under 5 pounds of weight, twice a day for 3-5 days. You will need a syringe and and an 18-20 gauge needle to get it out of the vial, and take the needle off to give it. Give it into her beak undiluted, although I have given it with a bit of egg and plain yogurt mixed together on bread crumbs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  6. Silver Hill

Sep 29, 2015
    Armuchee, GA
    Thanks for your reply!
    I just went out and checked them on the roost and now have 7 or 8 doing the same thing, all wheezing and sneezing with no runny noses or watery eyes. I can't see a Vet until Monday but the first one I treated with Nutri-Drench and VetRX seems better tonight. I was hoping it was just a cold but whatever it is is moving quickly to the other chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by