wheezing chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 3cravns, Sep 13, 2010.

1. 3cravns

3cravns Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    This site has been helpful the two times we have posted so here goes #3...
    We have an Easter Egger who is 4 mos. old and has been healthy up until today. We came home and let them out to "free range" for the evening and our son noticed Freita was wheezing when she breathes. My DH and I went out and sure enough she seems to be wheezing with some sneezing. We caught her and took a look at her. Her eyes, nose, comb everything looks as healthy as can be. We went to Youtube and typed in the search "wheezing chicken" and the first video that came up for us looks to be an EE with the EXACT breathing. We have all 14 chickens in a large outdoor pen during the day and in an enclosed chicken coop during the night. The coop has windows and an exhaust fan for ventilation. We have the windows cracked at night but not full open as it is getting down to the 40's here in N. Minnesota. The only thing that has changed is the introduction of straw on Saturday to the nesting boxes and the helpful chickens have spread it around the rest of the coop now! Seems to be clean straw, not wet, very dry with little dust it seems and no sign of mildew. Any thougths or ideas would be very, very much appreciated!

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Well, number one is to isolate her. Get a crate and bring her into the house, if you can, so you can watch her. i have had times where a hen just gets something up her nose and does some sneezing. Nevertheless, i always bring them into the house to watch and make sure it isn't something serious. Look for other symptoms like a runny nose. Tylan is recommended for respiratory issues. But i have treated one wheezing hen by putting a vaporizer next to her cage overnight to help her breath and she was fine the next day.

3. 3cravns

3cravns Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Sounds good, we'll give it a shot. We have 2 crates for our English Setters. We had to use one this morning when our 4 yo Setter met up with a skunk!!
    She is not wheezing all the time. Currently she is walking around and not making the noise at all. Very unsettling. She happens to be one of the fav's of course. She is lowest on the pecking order so she was isolated when she was a chick too.

Other input is appreciated, as well...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by