1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wheezing Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HenDaddyGV, Dec 4, 2013.

1. HenDaddyGV

HenDaddyGV Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    I have a mature Barred Rock hen that has been sneezing and wheezing while she breathes. I researched it and have ruled out gape worm. I treated her with injecting 1 cc tylan 50 for 5 days as instructed from other feeds but the peoblem has not gone away. I am looking for suggestions on what to do. Continue Antibiotics? She acts, eats and drinks normally.

2. summerfalling32

summerfalling32 New Egg

Dec 4, 2013
    I had a leghorn x Isa brown with the same symptoms, it was sneezing for about 3-4 weeks and acting normal but I did notice it was at the bottom of the pecking order, Has this happened to your? I came out to open the coop about a week ago and it didn't want to come out and was doing a very weird dry reaching thing and gasping for air. We have it olive oil as we thought it had something lodged in its throat but it didn't work because 2 hours later i found her dead in the coop, poor thing. She had a repiratory illness which sounds like yours has the same. Hopefully you can find something that works fast because I know the day before ours passed it showed no symptoms at all except for the usual sneezing. Maybe look up cures for respiratory illnesses.

3. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Isolate her from the rest of your flock. Feed the rest of your flock first and then feed her. Alwayse touch her last and then put your clothes in the wash, wash your hands and lysol your shoes. It sounds like she has a virus and you need to maintain biosecurity. DO NOT put oil down her throat, if you don't know what you are doing and you get oil in her lungs, she WILL suffocate.

I would deworm her with fenbendazole after isolating her. Get the paste fenbendazole for horses (don't listen to what your feed store person tells you) and give her a pea-sized portion once a day for three days. Just put it in her beak and she'll swallow it like peanut butter.

After doing all of that, just keep her in a clean, warm environment and support her. If she develops a secondary infection, switch antibiotics, try a terramycin or enrofloxacin.

4. HenDaddyGV

Mar 10, 2013
    Thanks rbaker, I have her isolated and am going to get the fenbendazole, I appreciate the help

5. rbaker0345

No problem, let me know how it goes.

6. HenDaddyGV

Mar 10, 2013
    After several days the cough is still there. Would you recommend antibiotic? I think I may have under-dosed with the tylan 50 before

7. rbaker0345

Okay, so you've wormed her and then used the tylan? How long, exactly, has she been coughing and is there any crustiness of her eyes or nose? Is there a dust situation in your coop? What kind of bedding are you using?

8. HenDaddyGV

Mar 10, 2013
    She has had the couch for about 3 weeks now. Before I used tylan 50 but only 1/2 cc for 3 days, I have done more research and it seems that I should be sing 1cc for 5-7 days. I just did the dewormer per your suggestion with no improvement. She does not have any crustiness on her eyes or nose. I am using Tractor Supply Flake Pine Shavings for bedding.

9. rbaker0345

My go to, when nothing else works, is denagard. Its expensive, but you've already created resistance to tylan by using the wrong dose, so you need to try something else. If you can't get your hands on some amoxicillin or some baytril (enrofloxacin or ciprofloxacin) then I would go with the denagard for 7-14 days.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan 50 is given for 3-5 days. For cows and swine (the animals it is labeled for) it says not to give it for more than 5 days. 8 mg per lb is the dosage (50 mg per cc/ml.)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by