Wheezing, coughing, rales, and now bloody poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ThePinkCoop, Aug 10, 2013.

1. ThePinkCoop

ThePinkCoop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2013
    Kansas
    I have a cornish X hen I got as a chick that has always wheezed and gasped. Sounds like she is snoring even while awake. She is now 5 months old, and I am now seeing this is a Cornish X roo, a Red Sexlink hen and I lost two 6 week old chicks this week with no real signs of problems other than lethargy. I have combed the forum and have even tried to use a chart to see what could possibly have all these symptoms, so I know how to treat. Im at a loss...

I live in Kansas and we have had a large amount of rain, but i have done my best to keep the pen and the coop dry. (the coop is bone dry) They free range all day. I also wash off the deck, walks, and any concentrated area of poo, and have noticed several bloody deposits lately. I have them all on antibiotics in their water as well as vetRx. It is now going on a week of antibiotics, and I have upped the dose a little bit since I see absolutely no signs of improvements. So I am reaching out to see if anyone else has any ideas, advise, or diagnosis so I can attack this and get things sorted. Thanks in advance!!

2. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    What antibiotics do you have them on?

3. ThePinkCoop

Apr 4, 2013
    Kansas
    Duramycin Tetrocycline.

4. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Tetracycline should address any upper respitory problems, but the bloody poop would indicate cocci. Do you have any corrid or amprolium ? I would treat them all.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If you're seeing blood in the droppings, I think that Coccidiosis is playing a part in this situation. Get Corid 9.6%l liquid as soon as possible; coccidiosis can kill quickly. The dosage for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, or 1/2 teaspoon per quart. Change the water every day.

They likely have a respiratory disease, too. Duramycin should help, unless it is a viral disease or a strong bacterial disease. If it is viral, all you can do is keep the birds as stress-free as possible, and make sure that they are getting enough to eat and drink. A stronger antibiotic might be needed if Duramycin doesn't work. Tylan50 is a good choice. The dosage for Tylan50 is 1cc for large fowl, and .5ccs for bantams or small birds, injected into the breast muscle for five days.

And, if I may ask, why have you kept the CornishX this long? Usually, these birds are slaughtered at eight weeks of age. If you keep them much longer, they can develop leg problems/heart problems/ascites. If you are going to continue to keep her, keep her on a low-protein feed to prevent her from getting too large.

I hope your chickens get better soon!

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If you can't find Corid liquid, Corid also comes in a powdered form. The Corid powder dosage is 1/2 teaspoon powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Also, during Corid treatment do not give any vitamins in your bird's water, as certain vitamins interfere with Corid's effect on Coccidia.

If you are seeing no change while treating with Duramycin, I would stop using it. Flushing a bird's system with a useless antibiotic will only make it have a less healthy digestive tract, and less resistance to disease. In my opinion, you should try using Tylan, as Wyandottes7 suggested. If Tylan doesn't work, then I suspect that your bird has a viral disease. If that is the case, you could either continue to give her supportive care, or consider culling. Cornish Xs were never meant to live very long; they put most of their energy into eating, and probably have less resistance to disease/infection as a result. But do whatever you want; even I would have difficulty killing a chicken that I had raised from a chick.

1 person likes this.
  7. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Sometimes is difficult to know whether or not they are getting enough meds, when administered in the water. I have had success with doxycycline . Only I dissolve it in 10 ml of water, soak it up in bread and feed to birds individually. That being said, the upper respitory symptoms in your other birds may well have been brought on by the stress of cocci. Amprolium is a vitamin b inhibitor, it works by starving coccidia. I would treat for the full 7 days. There is no withholding period.

8. ThePinkCoop

Apr 4, 2013
    Kansas
    I know...the CornishX arent meant to be more than dinner, but I got them by mistake when I asked for the Game Cornish. I didnt realize until some research what i had, and by then they had names and cute attitudes. I am forced to let nature take its course now. Jusr cant send them to the big farm in the sky.

Thank you all so much for the input and ingfo. I suspected coccidia and have Corid on the way, just in case. I will switch antibiotics as well. Thanks again!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  9. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    There is nothing wrong with being sentimental about your animals. Good luck ! Hope all goes well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by