Wheezing duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bokbok, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Bokbok

Bokbok Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2007
    They are two week old buffs. I keep them in my bathroom, incidentally a few feet away from my bed, and in the night last night, I heard strange sounds. When I went in, it seemed that one growing duckling had been unable to get her head out of the waterer like she used to, and looked quite "dunked". She snorted for a few minutes, seemed fine, and I went back to bed. But today I notice that she is audibly wheezing, not all the time, maybe just when she gets excited, I can see her chest cavity struggle a little with each wheeze. Sounds like when my husband had asthma. Any suggestions? I'm worried. My husband wants me to hold her upside down, to try to get any remaining water out, but I don't want to stress her out anymore. Help!

2. Bokbok

Bokbok Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2007
    Sometimes she sneezes too. Don't worry, I've got a different waterer, too.

3. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    duckie sneezes are normal. They like to put their beak in the water and sneeze. Holding your duckie upsiode down should not stress her out if you go slow and reassure her. You should be picking them up anyways, and going upside down shouldn't freak her out anymore than being held.

As for the wheezing, i can't help a whole lot. I'm not sure what to do. I guess you can try your upside down thing and then let her rest. I have some remedies for adult ducks with breathing problems, but not for ducklings.. sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by