Wheezing hen.... looks to be spreading? --- help ****UPDATE****

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FLchook, Oct 20, 2011.

1. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    1 of my americana hens is wheezing and gaping for air. another hen is starting to "honk" every so often, and Sunshine is becoming very lethargic..... All 3 hens lethargic, and it all started today.
    crop is empty... seeing no signs of worms in her mouth... feel no egg. don't know what I can do for her. Everyone was healthy and happy earlier this morning. I got home this afternoon and found my girls this way...

Thanks,
    Shannon

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Have you brought in any new birds? Have you checked for gape worms?

3. FLchook

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    no new birds... didn't see any in any of their throats. Well 2 of them. Leggy wouldn't let me get a good look. (darn stubborn legghorns lol)

I have them separate, put PetRx on them, have them in a warm room with a steamer running. Seem like she is breathing a bit easier, but could just be me being hopeful.

Could it be a "cold" of sorts? We had mass amounts of rain last weekend, then cold front hit us yesterday. Dropped to 50's last night.

Thanks.

4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Could be a fungal infection if no other symptoms. Check out the thread by speckled hen and then the one on Oxine AH.

Good luck!

5. FLchook

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Huge improvements today!!! [​IMG] Leggy seems to be her ol self again. No honking today.. Feathers, the one who couldn't breath is breathing well, up and about eating/drinking. Sunshine got a little worse over the night, but through the day I'm seeing slow improvement. Fingers are crossed. [​IMG]

Still have them separated, in warm room with a humidifier with VetRx going.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by