Wheezing hen what should I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mak24456, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Mak24456

Mak24456 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2016
    NC
    My buff orpington Bluebell is making a wheezing noise when she breathes [​IMG] It sounds like these:

She was completely fine yesterday, but today when I got home she came over, and I noticed the sounds. There is an occasional sneeze or cough.

She seems to be eating/drinking fine, is walking and foraging, bright and clear eyes, no muscus/congestion/crustiness anywhere. Perhaps her face is a bit pale and she isn't running or can't run but that's it. She seems completely normal besides the breathing.

My production red has been jumping on her and picking at her, so she must be able to tell that the BO is sick. My third hen doesn't seem to care, but she is the one who's lowest on the pecking order. They are all about 6 months old. We haven't added new birds to our flock, so I don't think it came from other chickens...

The 3 of them are out in our 3000 sq ft backyard all day and only stay in the coop to sleep. The coop has one side completely open. We don't have the means to do a proper quarantine... I could bring her inside but that's about it.

What issue does she have? Is it a virus or bacteria, or something else?

The people in the second video treated their hen with Vet RX, but I've read here on BYC it only works for mild infections or only alleviates symptoms and isn't a cure. Is that true?

How do the 2017 antibiotics laws affect my ability to get medication? I don't want to rush out and get antibiotics if it isn't necessary. We have an avian and exotics vet nearby but that seems drastic and expensive, especially if we can cure her at home.

I'm really worried for her. I'd appreciate any help you guys can give!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry no one replied - I answered you here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1137688/the-emergency-thread/580#post_18083602

3. Yemimah

Yemimah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2017
    She has a cold it sounds like.Treat her with TLC. Do you think she is stable or deteriorating? It can turn into pneumonia if she gets cold or dehydrated. Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens. I always come up with a plan for quarantine ahead of time. You may easily face this again and again raising birds. Purchase a big tote or feed trough and a heating pad or hear lamp. Put down pine shavings.You will need to give her food and water. I bought small ones / plastic at the feed store.She is a young bird and worth the effort to save. Give her warm fluids and life saving medicine if needed. I am a generational farmer and I would not hesitate to bring a needy animal that needs care into my house. Practice very strict a good hygiene and WASH your hands if you handle her.

4. Mak24456

Aug 24, 2016
    NC
    Thanks guys! No more wheezing this morning! Still sounds like the occasional cluck is gurgly. Almost like when people sound nasally when they have colds. I'm going to order some Vet RX and see if that clears it up. If she takes a turn for the worse we'll bring her inside and look into getting Tylan 50. Thanks so much for the help!

1 person likes this.
  5. Mak24456

Aug 24, 2016
    NC
    Update:

I just went out again and she seems to have started again. It hasn't gotten worse, and she sometimes stops wheezing and breathes normally. When I pick her up she stops. We'll get some Vet RX asap and continue to monitor her.

6. Yemimah

Yemimah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2017
    I would give her something stronger than that if you want to save her and I would keep her separated and warm till she is completely better. She sounds like it could be developing into pneumonia. If it were me I would get antibiotics and make sure she is hydrated with electrolytes. Give her warm fluids. If it is cold and she is giving her energy to keep warm she can not also heal.

7. Mak24456

Aug 24, 2016
    NC
    It is 70 degrees out :0 She stopped wheezing again. We've decided that if her condition declines we'll take her to the vet, but so far it seems her issue was caused by environmental factors. Antibiotics will be a last resort [​IMG]

8. Cookie666

Cookie666 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2015
    Malaysia
    Vitamin C works better than antibiotics.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would say you are probably right about it being environmental or temperature related. Wheezing can be from a number of things, such as a piece of food or some mucus stuck in the airway, a heart problem, fluid from ascites putting pressure on the abdomen, dust, mold fungus, or poor air circulation in the coop, and I cannot see why cold temperatures would not cause it if there is some underlying issue. Since you are not seeing the wheeIng constantly, and there are no other symptoms that usually accompany a viral or bacterial respiratory disease, it might be wise to just wait and see. Viruses or fungal infections don't respond to antibiotics anyway, but sometimes during those, a secondary bacterial infection common with those, may respond. Tylan 50 injectable is good to keep around for just that reason, but I'm not keen to use it unless necessary.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mak24456

Aug 24, 2016
    NC
    I think you're right! No sign of wheezing at all today, though the Vet RX is on the way and we'll keep it on hand if anything ever pops up again. Poor thing has been demoted in the pecking order though. Thanks everyone for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by