Wheezing Hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Iva S., Feb 19, 2018.

1. Iva S.

Iva S. Songster

Jul 8, 2017
    One of my hens started sort of wheezing today. As far as I know, it just started. It kinda sounds like a squeaky chair and every now and then she’ll sneeze too, but the sneezes are sort of wet sounding. I have a video of the wheezing (but not the sneezing), however I can’t upload it in this post. Should I be worried about this?

2. Farm life101

Farm life101 Chirping

Jan 9, 2018
    Florida
    Um I would try putting Vet-Rx on to help her with breathing I’m not quite sure what this could be I’m leaning more toward a respiratory issue which most of the time is easily treatable

3. Farm life101

Farm life101 Chirping

Jan 9, 2018
    Florida
    Does she have a runny nose or eyes. Has her appetite decreased. What color is her comb. Does she have any energy or is she lethargic. If you have her with other chickens separate her ASAP in case it is contagious

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

Dry respiratory?...location and housing including type of bedding?...

5. Iva S.

Iva S. Songster

Jul 8, 2017
    Her eyes and nose aren’t running and her comb is looking like it’s normal color. I don’t know about her appetite, but she does appear to be a bit lethargic.

6. Iva S.

Iva S. Songster

Jul 8, 2017
    They have straw in the nesting boxes and they just forage in grass/dirt/leaves during the day.

chickens really likes this.
  7. micstrachan

micstrachan Crowing Premium Member

Lethargic is not good. This sweetie is unwell. Can you bring her inside? She needs to be warm and needs fluids (if she’ll drink on her own) for starters.

8. Iva S.

Iva S. Songster

Jul 8, 2017
    I’ve brought her inside already and have supplied her with food and water. She drank a bit a while ago and hadn’t touched the food. She’s been sneezing more often in the past 30ish minutes.

9. micstrachan

micstrachan Crowing Premium Member

Warmth is great. Great job. She may benefit from poultry vitamins and electrolytes in her water.

10. Iva S.

Iva S. Songster

Jul 8, 2017
    How do I add electrolytes to her water? I don’t have poultry vitamins and I doubt I’ll be able to get some tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: