wheezing hen

vonchick

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 6, 2010
Madison, Florida
My 6 month old hen started wheezing and sneezing today. I've separated her from the flock. The feed store sold me Neovet 325 (neomycin) to put in her water, but I can't determine the correct amount of powder to use per gallon of water. The packet says to use one packet per every 7,150 lbs of body weight.....I have one small hen to dose... Does anyone have experience with this medication? After buying the neomycin, I also heard about Parimicin and Agrimicin - any recommendations as to which is best?

Thank you!

Hi Von
welcome-byc.gif

Sorry to hear about your hen
sad.png
Is she showing any other symtoms like puffy face, runny nose, bubbles in the corner of her eyes.

Quote:
I recommend that you return that product and exchange it for tylan 50 injectable found in the cattle section. Neovet 325 treats enteritis associated with E Coli. I've dealt with E Coli and sneezing/wheezing arnt the symptoms of an E Coli infection. You are possibly dealing with a respiratory issue. But first, I recommend that you check and see if it's not an environmental problem causing the sneezing/wheezing, such as; ammonia fumes from soiled litter, dust from feed, dust from dirt baths, pollen, dander from feather loss during and after molt, smoke, chemicals on grass/soil, fungus or mold in coop etc...All of these examples can be corrected or eliminated prior to using an antibiotic. If none of them are a problem, then it's probably a respiratory disease. If you smell a foul odor about the head area of your hen, it's most likely coryza. Treatment is sulmet in conjunction with an antibiotic. If there isnt a foul odor, it's most likely a mild strain of mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) Treatment is tylan or denagard. Both of these diseases are contageous and MG can be passed through eggs. She will remain a carrier with either of these diseases. You will have to maintain a closed flock and practice strict biosecurity. Your other option is to cull her.
For MG: Tylan 50 injectable dosage is 1/2cc for standard size birds and 1/4cc for smaller birds. It is injected into the breast muscle once a day for 3 days, alternating each side of the breast. You can give it to your hen orally if you wish, same dosage once a day for 5 days. You should see improvement by the 3rd day if given orally but continue treatment to the 5th day. The reason you give it orally for 5 days is because it takes longer to absorb into their system to be effective, also some of it is excreted whereas when injected, it takes effect quicker and is easily absorbed. Pull the wattles down and her mouth will open, then squirt it in and release the wattles so that she can swallow it on her own. I dont recommend water soluable antibiotics, sick birds wont drink it. That's why it's always better to administer it to them orally yourself.
You can purchase denagard from QC Supply. There is a initial treatment dose then a monthly preventative dose. There isnt any withdrwal nor resistance to denagard.
Here's a link to respiratory diseases in poultry. Scroll down to "Infectious Coryza" and "Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG)" and read about them if you wish. Also a link about denagard:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
http://www.denagard.com/pig-poultry-public/en/index.shtml

Back
Top Bottom