Wheezing hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NancyP1, Mar 20, 2012.

1. NancyP1

NancyP1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Upstate NY
    My hen is making a really funny noise with each breath she takes. she has been out all day, scratching around, doing normal chicken stuff...now she is under a bench. she has been making this noise all day. Hard to describe....i guess wheezing would be the best choice for sound? Its with every breath. what could this be? Is this something contagious?

2. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

Do you have any other hens like this? I had a bantie acting this way and I figured she has mold allergies because it was a humid day and she was playing in moldy hay, so I gave her scrambled eggs with a half a teaspoon of avian probiotics. She hasn't had a problem since. Separate your hen just in case, if you have Sulfadimethoxine, give her 1fl oz added to 2 gallon drinking water for 6 days, if you use this do not eat her eggs during treatment, and wait 5 days after treatment. If you don't have that, make her main diet yogurt for a week.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  3. NancyP1

Jul 26, 2011
    Upstate NY
    she is the only one acting like that. I will seperate her....and try some yogurt. thanks....poor hen.

4. Symphony

[​IMG] Hope all goes well!

5. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    I had a hen that would get the wheezes several times after eating scratch. I even took her to the vet once for a bronchoscopy!!
    The vet said something might have irritated her trachea and caused this. It was gone the next day.
    When it happened again, I didn't do anything, and it went away on its own.
    Hopefully yours will clear up soon.
    Do you feed them scratch? I think scratch is bad for chickens, for a number of reasons.

6. NancyP1

Jul 26, 2011
    Upstate NY
    no..I dont feed scratch.....little bit of cracked corn for a treat in the am....free range in the afternoon...plus layer pellets free choice. Just checked her, hubby thought egg bound....I dont think so....going to look up some info on impacted crop.

7. Symphony

It's respitory so it has nothing to do with eggs or crop.

8. Symphony

Please keep us updated. [​IMG]

9. NancyP1

Jul 26, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Well, hubby got home and put her down. [​IMG]I had a box in the barn all set up for her. She was a nice hen. I really hope the rest of my flock is going to be ok. I have 16 2 week old chicks still in the house, and another 20 eggs in the incubator. I cleaned the coop....opened the windows....Crap.

10. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Sorry about your hen. I hope your others don't get sick.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by