1. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    I'm worried about my littlest hen. I noticed her heavy wheezing and brought her inside away from the others. I added a rooster a few months ago, but I quarantined him and I haven't added any other birds since.
    Other than the wheezing, she has a very small amount of clear snot around her nostrils. She is scratching, pecking, and drinking normally. I haven't seen any symptoms in any other birds, and nothing at all yesterday. She doesn't seem to be sneezing, either.

She had a neck injury as a tiny pullet, and had to have the skin from her ears down to her lower back stitched back on. She's been healthy since then! That was about 8 months ago. Could that be causing any trouble breathing now? She's never had any other problems.
    I've looked her over for injuries, and I didn't see anything.
    I love this little chicken, she's my favorite.
    Any ideas what could be wrong with her?
    Thanks

2. torilovessmiles

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    She just started sneezing. My mom said some of the other birds sound a little congested. We called the vet but they're in surgery hours right now.
    Anybody know what kind of antibiotic I need? I assume I need to treat the whole flock ASAP

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan is best, but oxytetracycline and Gallimycin may be used to treat respiratory diseases and MG. If you are noticing a bad odor, then it could be coryza which is better treated with Sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet.

4. torilovessmiles

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    Thanks @Eggcessive ! There's no bad odor, and she seems a lot better this morning. I'm still treating the whole flock, especially because of the other congested hens. I'm picking up some vitamins and electrolytes from the feed store today as well as the antbiotics

5. torilovessmiles

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    One more thing, how long after treatment until I can eat their eggs again? We supply a lot of poorer members of the family with food through their eggs. Are they safe to eat, but not to sell, or should I just discard the eggs until they're antibiotic-free?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    What are you treating the flock with? Withdrawal times depend on what antibiotic you're using.

7. torilovessmiles

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    I went with oxytetracycline, because that was the only of the three that my feed store had

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

And since you are treating blindly, you should realize that antibiotics do nothing for a virus. Plus, if they really do have any of the contagious illnesses, they will remain carriers of that disease. I hate to always be the one bearing bad news, and of course, I can't know what your birds have just from those symptoms, but I feel every chicken owner should operate from a position of full awareness and knowledge so they are careful not to pass on anything to someone else's flock, especially. So, this is just an FYI.

As dawg said, withdrawals depend on which antibiotic. And also, you should be aware that if you are providing eggs to anyone with a heart condition, as I do with one particular neighbor, they may need to be aware of you treating your birds and you should do the longest withdrawal for fullest safety measures for that person. My neighbor was specific about having eggs without antibiotic residue due to her heart condition.

9. torilovessmiles

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    Thanks for the advice, I will go to the vet when I can to get a test and see exactly what I'm dealing with. They've stopped showing symptoms without starting antibiotics, but should I treat anyway, to be safe?
    I'm really hoping they aren't permanent carriers of something, I've been worried about that since the one started wheezing.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's good that they seem improved without antibiotics. Most of the antibiotics have different egg withdrawal times. Tylan oral is 7 days I believe, while tetracycline drugs are 21 days. Withdrawal time s are fairly easy to find here on BYC. Below are a couple of links to help you identify respiratory diseases and the other is for finding a lab that may be able to do testing in your area:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by