Wheezing, listless turkey (pet)

SnapdragonFarm

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 8, 2012
Hi.
I'm brand new here and have a question. My 8 month old or so white turkey has raspy breathing and is not active. I just noticed yesterday, but I can't say for sure how long it's been going on, because I've been gone for over a week.
My neighbor gave me some Sulmet, but I'm hesitating because I don't know what's wrong with her.
The local vets won't treat poultry and I'm kinda bed bound for a couple weeks, so any advice or help would be appreciated.
She's in a pen by herself for now.
Thanks,
Lindsay

She's still eating and drinking

Last edited:
Hi.
I'm brand new here and have a question. My 8 month old or so white turkey has raspy breathing and is not active. I just noticed yesterday, but I can't say for sure how long it's been going on, because I've been gone for over a week.
My neighbor gave me some Sulmet, but I'm hesitating because I don't know what's wrong with her.
The local vets won't treat poultry and I'm kinda bed bound for a couple weeks, so any advice or help would be appreciated.
She's in a pen by herself for now.
Thanks,
Lindsay
She's still eating and drinking
Is she a BBW? if so she may be having heart trouble due to her extreme weight these breeds are known for. You might consider butchering her before she kicks the bucket and getting a heritage breed. I don't mean to sound callas about this, but the BBW was not bred to be a pet or for longevity. They were bred for a lot of breast meat and short time get to butchering size. I am sorry for your misfortune!
sad.png

Thanks for telling me. I'm not sure her breed, but she's pure white and I guess that makes sense. What a shame, she's a sweetheart.

Back
Top Bottom