Wheezing pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emvickrey, Nov 23, 2011.

1. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I have a sizzle pullet about 6 months old that started wheezing today. I couldn't identify which one it was when I checked on them this morning. I went back this afternoon and it was clear who it was. She was making more of a noise like she had just ran a 15 mile race in the scorching heat. Making a noise with every inhale and exhale. I brought her in and gave her antibiotics right away. What I gave her is Duramyacin-10. It goes in the water. I gave her several eye droppers full right away. Then put her in the brooder with the waterer that had it in it. Now she's just making the noise on every inhale. She is eating, no mucus from nose or eyes. She does hold her beak open. I felt to see if maybe something was stuck and noting felt out of the ordinary. She didn't have much in her crop at that time but she has eaten since. I got her to eat some chick starter. All I felt in her crop was a very small amount of feed. It felt as if there was a bit of scratch in there. I mix their feed with layer crumbles and scratch grains and fresh water everyday. She's not lethargic or hanging her head or droopy wings. She stands up straight and when put on the floor even pecked at the floor as if she found a tasty morsel. The only thing other than the noisy breathing that isn't normal is she let me pick her up. She usually don't let me without protest.

It has been rather chilly and rainy. Their bedding got wet. I suppose thats why she got sick. Tomorrow i'll be removing it all and replacing with dry and DH will be covering up their pen for the winter. She lives in a pen with the non-laying silkie and sizzle youngsters and there are alot in there. They aren't overcrowded, the pen is a good size but there are alot. I heard a sneeze this evening when I went to check on them again but I couldn't tell which one did it out of the pile they where in. It was only 1 sneeze and I was in there for about 15 minutes looking for runny noses or watery eyes. Everybody else looked ok. I'll try to find the sneezer and get them out tomorrow.

So, with all that info, is there anything else I could do?

2. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I was wondering if the mist from albuteral is safe for chickens. If it is how much? My pullet is still wheezing when she inhales. I have her in a 20 gal aquarium with a screen over the top. I can put a towl over the screen and let the mist go in the aquarium a little but enough for her to get a couple breaths of. Maybe it will help her breath. But I won't do it until I hear from somebody if it's safe or not. I know when my MIL uses it when she's sick it helps alot but makes her shake real bad for about an hour and my grandson which has adhd practically climbs the walls. I want to help her but what I have and what I can get right now is limited.

I already posted what i'm giving her and all the symptoms. There isn't any change, better or worse since she stopped the wheezing on exhale. It's just on inhale.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  3. Tricorn

Tricorn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    I would start treating the entire pen. Respiratory stuff travels fast. Try picking them up and listening to the breathing with their chest to your ear. Any crackling or popping indicates an infection. I've got 25 chicks with a mystery respiratory infection, and not a cough, sneeze or runny nose among them.

I have a thread up about my dealings with the worst off chick, everyone else is just on Duramyacin. Guess I don't have much advice, but good luck!

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I would put a light on over the tank to keep her warm. Electrolytes and vitamins might help. there are medications you can use for them to inhale, i just can't think of the name right now. Do a search on CRD. Some protein like scrambled eggs might help give her energy, and maybe greens or apple choipped up. Hopefully you caught it soon enough. Good luck, Deb

5. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    By the time I was done dealing with this one it was dark and they where all asleep. I'll be starting them on the duramyacin first thing in the morning.

Goldie isn't doesn't have any cradkling or popping noise either. Just the noise she makes when she inhales. It's hard to explain the sound. I say wheezing in the title but it's more of a sound one would make if they wheresrawing in a breath real hard and was having trouble filling their lungs with air. It sounds awful. She isn't as loud as she was but I don't know if thats a good thing or bad. I'm thinking getting her in where it's warmer helped. I wrapped her in a towel, sat her in my lap and fed her the antibiotic water by eye dropper as soon as I got her inside and it mixed up. Then she went in the brooder and left quiet to rest.

What worries me also is she is in the only place I can keep her in the house and that is on the front porch where the chicks and my house chicken stay. I also have 2 quail that got beat up by the roo in there. I know quail will pick up what a chicken catches and most likely die from it so they're really at risk especially the one that got the worst of the beating from the roo. I do have a towel over the sick sizzle but a corner is open so she can get fresh air. The quail that got the worst injuries is also covered up because she keeps freaking out and bouncing around like a beach ball. I'm surprised she hasn't given herself brain damage. Since I covered her she stopped all the jumping though.

The brooders with the chicks are covered also and they're on the other side of the room from the sizzle and so is George the house chicken but she isn't covered up.

Thanks for replying. Maybe it will bump the thread where somebody that has medical knowledge will see and reply. I hope your chickies get better. It's like having sick kids......sorta.

I've had chickens for several years and last year was my first time dealing with sick chickens and this year it started before it's really gotten very cold. Not a good start at all. I didn't loose any last yeara and I hope I don't this year either.

6. Hot2Pot

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I did some quick reading, and Oxine is the medication i was thinking of. It could be a fungal infection with the damp bedding. Do a search on that. I know albuteral can give you jitters, never tried it on chickens. It does open the airways for people. Good luck, Marie

7. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:Thank you. I won't be able to get any till friday though when TSC is open again. It'll be a madhouse but she's worth it. I'll call TSC and the other feed store thats a ways of a drive but if they'll be open thats where i'll go. But if not it'll be friday.

I was doing a search and found chicken diseases and was reading it but didn't find her symptoms. Thanks for looking for me. Maybe somebody I know has some I can borrow till friday. I'll try something.

BTW, what is it she has?

8. Hot2Pot

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Well, I am just guessing but maybe a respiratory infection caused by fungal spores.

9. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I figured it had to be the wet bedding but I didn't think of fungal spores. It's cold but sure makes sense being there's poo in the bedding and it's wet. I've replaced it once this week. Did it sunday. DH is gonna fix the leak and cover it up tomorrow and that "should" keep them dry. I hope.

10. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:Thank you. I won't be able to get any till friday though when TSC is open again. It'll be a madhouse but she's worth it. I'll call TSC and the other feed store thats a ways of a drive but if they'll be open thats where i'll go. But if not it'll be friday.

I was doing a search and found chicken diseases and was reading it but didn't find her symptoms. Thanks for looking for me. Maybe somebody I know has some I can borrow till friday. I'll try something.

BTW, what is it she has?

"i was thinking of. It could be a fungal infection with the damp bedding. "

Oh my goodness. I can't believe I asked such a dumb question with the answer right there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by