Wheezing/rattling - 10 weeks old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jhook1997, May 18, 2011.

1. jhook1997

jhook1997 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    We have a 10 week old Leghorn that is making strange sounds but seems otherwise healthy. She is eating, drinking, pecking, messing like usual. It is kind of like a wheezing or rattling sound, possibly from her chest. I'm new to chickens and have no idea what it is and if there is a medicine I can give her.

2. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    You should get her on antibiotics right away. It sounds exactly like what my adult rooster had and he died a week later because I caught it too late. He had bronchitis (fluid in his lungs). Now because it was a respiratory thing it at least did not infect the rest of my flock. But if you do have other chickens I would isolate it for a while just to be safe.

3. jhook1997

jhook1997 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Quote:Any idea what type of antibiotic and where to get it? (sorry.....new to the chicken world)

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can purchase tylan 50 injectable at a feed store or TSC. Give it to her orally, dosage is 1/4cc once a day for 5-7 days. You are most likely dealing with chronic respiratory disease (CRD.) Antibiotics will mask the symptoms, but wont cure. She will remain a carrier and it will spread to others. You will have to maintain a closed flock...none in, none out, no exceptions. Your other option is to cull.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just know that if it's a virus, no antibiotic will do any good, same as with any other situation involving viral infections. Sometimes, if they have had stuff come back up from the crop into the throat, like if you try to catch a bird and you accidentally press on the crop, they can gurgle and try to clear their throat for a day or two as well. That can scare you pretty good, I know from experience!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by