wheezing, seizure, death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by veganchickenmum, Jul 28, 2014.

1. veganchickenmum

veganchickenmum Hatching

Jun 21, 2014
    My approx 4 year old ex battery hen, petals, just died :( she has had a problem with breathing on and off since she has lived with me, extensive tests at vet could never find what it was, but she has been able to run around and everything, so we have just watched it. A few days ago, she wasn't eating apple, she loves apple, so we were not sure, we have just been watching her, she has seemed fine other than that, this morning, she woke up, drank some water, and then started wheezing and coughing badly.. we rushed to get sone ice (that's how we bring her around when she starts these episodes) but then she started to have a seizure, and then died... She was our most beloved hen, and I want to know, does anyone know what it could be? What killed my petals..

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Songster

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I'm sorry to hear that, its a hard thing when our pets die.

Firstly she is an ex battery hen, they aren't designed to live long, so she has had a good life at 4 years.
    We had a hen like that who had a funny wheezing and coughing sounds and we couldn't work it out. Chances are she had a respitory infection when younger and it leads to scaring which in turn leads to the wheezing sound . The respitory infection can also weaken the heart and lungs since they are having to work much harder to do the same job. I'm thinking that her heart just gave up, and so did her lungs which would have caused the seizure. It sounds like it was her time

Once again I'm sorry for your loss :(

3. veganchickenmum

veganchickenmum Hatching

Jun 21, 2014
    Thanks stiggy :)
    When we were investigating her wheezing, the vet put her under general, and put a scope in her lungs, and they were fine, we never did have an answer to it.. we think it was probably a pulmonary embolism, it seems fitting.. she did live ling for an ex bat, and we spoiled her rotten every day of her life with us. Always hard to get used to her not being there though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: