1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wheezing Silkie! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fobpatdgurl18, May 18, 2011.

1. fobpatdgurl18

fobpatdgurl18 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    North Wilkesboro
    Help! I need advice. I went to check for eggs tonight and put the babies up and my silkie hen seems to be having trouble breathing. She's wheezing and gasping. She was fine then suddenly started wheezing. I'm taking her with me to work tomorrow (if she makes it and is still having trouble breathing (I work at a vet hospital)) to let one of the docs look at her. Is there anything I can do or check for tonight. I plan on getting her in out of the cold. It's been rainy and cold the least couple of days. I just got her Monday. Please help!

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

I always have problems with at least one silkie when it's wet/cold. Usually I get an eye crusted shut. I would separate her if she's not already And bring her/him inside that should help. Then see how it does

3. fobpatdgurl18

May 11, 2011
    North Wilkesboro
    I have her inside where it's warm and she's dry. I gave her some water but no food. Her crop had food in it so I figured she'd be ok until the morning. I really hope she's alright. I hate losing a chicken and I'm just now getting back into Silkie chickens.

4. cpegram

Just keep an eye on her. Is she still wheezing? Drinking ok?

5. cpegram

How is she doing?

6. fobpatdgurl18

May 11, 2011
    North Wilkesboro
    She's acting completely better. I didn't take her with me to work but I talked to the vet about her. She said as she's not wheezing anymore she'd let her be. If she starts having trouble again I'll take her to get looked at. I think it must have been the cold weather and rain that was making her do it. It stopped raining and dried up and she's all better now. I've been working on their new coop and watched her all day yesterday and have checked on her this morning. She seems healthy as a horse. Eating, drinking, pooping, and all. I'm so relieved that she seems to feel better! Maybe she has asthma or something idk.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:I am so glad she is better. Did you spread anything dusty in the coop right before this?

8. cpegram

Oh that great news [​IMG]

9. fobpatdgurl18

May 11, 2011
    North Wilkesboro
    No I haven't put anything out but we did cut some lumber around there so some sawdust was around. Maybe that got to her. I didn't think about that. But it was raining so I wouldn't think it floated near her or to where she could breathe it. I don't know I'm just extremely glad she's alright!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by