1. TheresaWolf29

TheresaWolf29 Hatching

Sep 3, 2017
    My 5 month old feather foot buff Brahma started wheezing tonight. At first it sounded like, "HEEEE Haaaw". My chicks free range and I was outside most of the day with them. All day normal eating, drinking, running around until about 6 pm when Dixie Chick ran by me making that awful noise. I didn't pay much attention to it until I checked the coop around 8pm . Dixie was sitting in a nesting box, still wheezing. I scooped her up and brought her inside while frantically searching BYC.
    Thinking maybe something was stuck, I gave her some bread soaked in olive oil. Then I gave her water. No change. I looked down her throat and couldn't see anything .I even stuck my finger down her throat! Nada.
    Read a post about VetRx. Warmed some up with water and used an eyedropper to put some down her throat. Rubbed her beak, nostrils, ears, comb and under her wings.
    No sneezing. No discharge. No mucus.
    Noise changed to more of a squeaky rocking chair . She's definitely breathing through her mouth. She's not really closing her beak at all .

Right now I have her in a crate (because my husband won't let her sleep in our bed!) on a heating pad with an essential oil vaporizer. (Theives, oregano, lavender and lemon) It's 1am and I'm just laying here listening to her. Sounds keep changing.

Definitely calling the vet in the am. I try to avoid antibiotics both personally and with my little flock .

I don't want her to suffer. Do you think she's in pain?

Any other suggestions to help her breathe easier?

With no other symptoms, could it still be a respiratory infection?

2. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Hi there. Sorry about your sweet pullet. If this came on suddenly, I would suspect she swallowed something that is blocking her airway. Of course a respiratory infection is possible, as well. And possibly gapeworm. Is an avian Vet an option where you live?
    Sorry not to be of more help at the moment. Others will be along. I just wanted you to know you’re not alone and I’m glad you came to ask for help! Hang in there.

3. TheresaWolf29

TheresaWolf29 Hatching

Sep 3, 2017
    Thank you! I am lucky to have an avian vet close by . Six hours until they open!!!
    I hope it's a simple cure !

micstrachan likes this.
  4. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Please tell us what the vet says. :)

5. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

I also just reread your post and wanted to warn you not to put anything down the MIDDLE of her throat, as that is her airway. Feed and water go to the SIDE of the hole in the middle. If you already put fluid down the middle hole, be sure to tell the vet. I hope this doesn’t stress you out, but it’s important.

6. TheresaWolf29

TheresaWolf29 Hatching

Sep 3, 2017

7. TheresaWolf29

TheresaWolf29 Hatching

Sep 3, 2017
    Thank you .I had a Polish Frizzle last year that had to be fed through a tube, so I am aware of where the food/water goes! I know not to aspirate her it's good advice worth repeating!

micstrachan likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: