1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wheezy chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by staze, Oct 9, 2016.

1. staze

staze Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    Hello all,

I have an EE that has been seemingly wheezing on every exhale. I believe it's been a little bit, but we really noticed today. She's eating and drinking, but the sound is a little concerning.

Here's a recording of the sound... she keeps her beak closed while making this sound, but it sure seems like it's every exhale.

Haven't tried the bread and olive oil trick yet, but I wouldn't think it's stuck food if she's eating and drinking...

Thoughts? Also, she should be very close to egg laying age at this point... so the other thought is maybe she's just uncomfortable? But it sure sounds respiratory to me.

Thanks!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Is your chicken any better today. I was wondering it is was crop issue...like it was trying to expel something? Keep us posted!

3. staze

staze Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    She seems good today, or at least can't hear anything.

I'll keep an ear out, but hopefully it was just, as you say, something stuck. Just seems weird that drinking and eating wouldn't clear that... but then, maybe I don't understand chicken physiology.

4. staze

staze Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    She's been fine the last two days, so pretty sure this isn't an issue anymore. Must have been something she ate (thankfully).

So, I'm happy to start another thread on this, but I'm curious: Do most people bother vaccinating their chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by