Wheezy hen, labored breathing What med?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by akpeeps, May 18, 2010.

1. akpeeps

akpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    She's a 3-4 year old Barred Rock hen. Other than some sneezing off and on the past few days, she's apparently been fine. I just found her hunkered down in the coop by herself having trouble breathing, wheezing/whistling sounds. No eye or nasal discharge. I immediately seperated her. [​IMG]

The only meds I have on hand is Doxycycline 50mgs, Lincocin 20mg/mL injectable, and Sulfadimethoxine oral 12.5%. Can I use any of these on her? and how much?

Any help appreciated...

Gayle

2. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Hi Gayle,

Check out this post. I used ThreeHorses reccomendations to treat a respiratory issue in one of my girls, and it worked like a charm. I did not end up medicating, but if you do....i think the antibiotics for respiratory issues are duramycin-10 or Tylan-50. The Tylan is said to be more effective, but needs to be injected. I will also include a link on how to give injections.

My understanding is that antibiotics are not to be played around with. You need to be sure to use the right one, for the full course reccomended. Here are the links:

How to boost the immune system to treat respiratory issues and also a duramycin dosage formula: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2788452

how
    to give injections: http://shilala.homestead.com/injection.html

I
    feel like i am always linking to these threads! They are such good information. I followed all the instructions in the first post, and didn't have to medicate....but you may have to use an antibiotic.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Andrea

3. akpeeps

akpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    She died about 30mins after I seperated her.

4. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    I'm so sorry! [​IMG]
    Keep an eye on the others, since these things can spread.
    You way want to go ahead and follow the dietary/supplemental suggestions in the article on the thread i linked for you to boost the others immune systems. They may not be showing symptoms yet, but could very well have the same thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by