Wheezy labored breathing in rooster? Off feed

RussianChickens

Songster
9 Years
Jul 2, 2013
Michigan (USA)
So my one rooster is having a very hard time breathing today, this started two days ago when he went off feed and started to crow funny. He often goes hoarse because he crows LITERALLY every 15 seconds all day long. So I thought this was just another one of those times where he'd be fine in the morning, well hes not. My big orp was terrorizing him from below his cage which has been stressing him out.

Hes had some other problems so Please see this thread for more info on him https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/868896/updated-cockerel-with-dead-feet-gangrenous-toes

None of my other birds have any problems or are or have been sick, so I'm not sure what his problem is. I do know right across the road they spread pig manure and spilt it all over just in front of our yard and it has a horrendous eye watering smell and I actually had to move to a friends house for a few days because it made me physically ill even inside the house.
tongue.gif
His problems started around that time, however no other birds are affected and were all living in the same place.

He is also not eating at all or pooping, probably because he hasn't eaten in two days.

What's causing this and how can I fix it?

Could this be stress from my orp being obnoxious?
Could it be the manure?
Is he allergic to his new pine sawdust?
Could it be a virus came from the manure!!?!? :O

This poor bird has a lot of potential issues. Good air quality is really important for birds in general because of their physiology. With this guy's health problems, it is especially important for him. He should also not be kept near any other roos due to his fragile state. I doubt he has acquired an allergy to the pine shavings, but if they are dusty or damp in any way, then this can lead to breathing difficulties. As far as a virus...has he been foraging in the manure? It is unlikely that he has a virus if he hasn't been. There are very few illnesses that cross species lines.

Any chance he has an infection in the feet?

This poor bird has a lot of potential issues. Good air quality is really important for birds in general because of their physiology. With this guy's health problems, it is especially important for him. He should also not be kept near any other roos due to his fragile state. I doubt he has acquired an allergy to the pine shavings, but if they are dusty or damp in any way, then this can lead to breathing difficulties. As far as a virus...has he been foraging in the manure? It is unlikely that he has a virus if he hasn't been. There are very few illnesses that cross species lines.

Any chance he has an infection in the feet?
No, his feet look great. Unless its on the inside where I can't see, they are still swollen, How do I give him the PenG and how much ?

Hes in a very well ventilated clean area like the rest of my birds, so I don't think thats it. No the manure is just across the road, my birds are all in pens right now so theres no chance of exposure directly.

Could he have something stuck in his windpipe? He does like to eat whole corn, and thats the first thing I noticed is that he stopped eating his corn. :(

Should I bring him back into the basement? I thought hed be happier outside but maybe its stressing him out too much?

WAIT they are ash shavings! I thought they were pine but they are ash! I just went to clean his cage and realized I'm allergic to them! I'm allergic to Ash not pine! Could he be messed up on the ash dust too?
I'm going to empty it right now and replace it with pine!

Also, can I give him some of my inhaler mist? Its albutorol perhaps if i mist it in front of him it may help open his airways too?

So I bought PenG. How do I give him the PenG? Do I inject it? How much? I have it, I just don't know how much to give him or if I should inject it.

I gave him some of my inhaler, it helped a little, it seams he has some phlegm or something possibly stuck in there. The inhaler loosened what ever it was up a bit. I could not see anything in his wind pipe. I'm not sure what is wrong with him, he just stands there wheezing.

He doesn't have any discharge or anything, he looks perfectly healthy other than this problem. I did change his bedding feed and water completely and moved him to the porch where he will hopefully be bothered less. It is colder out today.

Anyone have any advice or idea whats wrong with him? My other birds are fine.

A chart that has all the common meds for birds and their doses. Pen G should be injected into a big muscle. Most people use a breast or thigh since they are the biggest muscles on a bird. 1/4-1/2 cc each day for 5-7 days.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart
Ok day 4 on Tylan. not much change. i noticed most change on the two days of PenG before i switched to Tylan. Should I go back to Pen G if tylan doesn't work?

Still no other birds with any issues.

Why did you switch antibiotics into the course of the first one? That is how you get antibiotic resistance. I didn't recommend Tylan in the first place because I think the bird's breathing issues are related to the feet. I think he has an infection in the wounds that is manifesting as a systemic infection. Tylan would not be the first choice for wound-based bacteria.

Finish the course of Tylan. If he is still failing then do a full course of the PenG. He is going to need some probiotics while this is going on. You can pick up some probiotics at the pharmacy. They come in capsule form. Dump the contents of the capsule into something he likes to eat or drink.

Never start a course of antibiotics and then stop halfway through. This is one of the reasons why we have superbugs flourishing now.

Why did you switch antibiotics into the course of the first one?  That is how you get antibiotic resistance.  I didn't recommend Tylan in the first place because I think the bird's breathing issues are related to the feet.  I think he has an infection in the wounds that is manifesting as a systemic infection.  Tylan would not be the first choice for wound-based bacteria.

Finish the course of Tylan.  If he is still failing then do a full course of the PenG.  He is going to need some probiotics while this is going on.  You can pick up some probiotics at the pharmacy.  They come in capsule form.  Dump the contents of the capsule into something he likes to eat or drink.

Never start a course of antibiotics and then stop halfway through.  This is one of the reasons why we have superbugs flourishing now.

I got told it was respiratory and that I should stop the penG so I did. Please do not scold me. This is only my first time with this. I thought it was a little odd but trusted the other person with lots of posts knew what they were talking about.

I'll get some today, I actually think I have a bunch. Would yougurt work to put it in?

Back
Top Bottom