Whelping box and puppy watch!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Redyre Rotties, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
  2. dbunni

dbunni Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    While you are watching ... we are watching ... 7 happy healthy basenjis. 6 tri, 1 red. 6 girls, 1 dog. Born yesterday. Some great show prospects ... color and genetics say so! We are excited.

Good luck ... hope your luck is as wonderful as ours.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  3. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    aww soo sleepy. I know the feeling, I am due in 4 days myself.

4. Redyre Rotties

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Best of luck with your labor and delivery!

5. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    thanks!

its been years since my parents bred dogs, do they tend to go very on time/very close to the due date or is there a good amount of wiggle room like in humans?

6. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I love the whelping box! [​IMG] And the video is super clear and bright. What kind of camera are you using? And is it connected straight to your computer or wireless? I'd love to do something like that for my sheep/goats so I can watch them while I'm at work.

And how do you pronounce Redyre? I've been saying "Red Eye" but I don't think that's right. [​IMG]

7. Redyre Rotties

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Thank you! I designed the box and my husband made it to my specs. It's made of melamine, that slick white stuff they make shelving and cabinets from. It's very easy to clean, but also very heavy.

The camera is a Logitech C905. I am broadcasting with the Adobe Flash Media Encoder. It does make for a nice feed. It should get even better, I am going to bypass Ustream and stream it directly to my website, I have someone working on that for me now.

It's pretty boring right now except for the good music, but in about 10 days it will start to get very exciting! [​IMG]

babyblue, since I did ovulation timing, I know within about 24 hours each way what day the puppies will arrive. They are due the 11th. Could be the 10th or the 12th, but most likely they will be here on the 11th. [​IMG]

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Will you be Docking the tails & clipping the dewclaws when they're born or do you have it Vet done?

9. Redyre Rotties

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    I don't remove front dew claws, but any on the rear will be removed. Yes, tails will be docked. I have banded tails before, but these will probably be done at my vets.

10. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My Step mother is a Nurse so she brought me home any supplies I needed when I had to do mine. I have never seen banding done but I just used sterelized surgical scissors and cut them at the 2nd-3rd vertebrae in the tail, depending on how big the puppy was.

I was Horrified after the Vet did her first litter and ruined them, they also had a lot of problems healing too. I did her last 2 litters myself & they healed so much faster and cleaner when it was done right at birth. They also had no scar on their tails either... I always disliked her raised scar on her nub. [​IMG]

(i haven't been watching the cam but you have to post pics after they're here!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by