When 5 of your 19 chickens aren't roosting ?!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickmomma18, Nov 12, 2014.

1. chickmomma18

chickmomma18 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    Downingtown Pa
    My chickens are- 4 months old.
    Everyone is roosting except 5 of them. I have a "runt" who is half of everyone else's size. I think all 5 are at the bottom of the "pecking order" but I have 3 different heights of roosts. (2 roosts for each height)
    Tonight I put all 5 on the bottom roost and closed the coop and watched through the window. 4 of them got comfy but when the runt tries to get comfy-one of the other chickens knocked her off the roost. So I put her back up with the next smallest chicken, she decided on her own she wouldn't stay on the roost. So she's essentially sleeping alone on the floor tonight.
    Anyway, my question is-did I mess up?

2. evemfoster

evemfoster Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    NE, Wa.
    No not at all. Chickens can be funny that way. If your little hen doesn't eventually find a roosting spot she may accept one by herself if its a little lower than the other roosts.

3. chickmomma18

Sep 15, 2014
    Downingtown Pa
    Thank you. I actually went back in with a flashlight because I was obsessing about her being cold, lonely or depressed. (Omg I am the crazy chicken lady!!)
    Turns out...she found her own way back to the roost and was snuggling with the other 4.
    Lol

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yeah, just let them figure it out....mine still have a bit of a peck and shove fest at roost time.
    Sometimes it gets rather raucous.

The pecking order is an ongoing and ever changing thing,
    trying to control it will drive you nuts...and you shouldn't anyway, let them figure it out, they will.

5. chickmomma18

Sep 15, 2014
    Downingtown Pa
    Just to be clear, no one is trying to control the pecking order-I'm in the process of roost training.
    Thank you everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by