When a brown leghorn isnt a brown leghorn

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sheila3935, Jul 5, 2011.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have 2 9 week old chicks that I bought at the feed store. They came in a hatchery choice pullets. We thought they were brown leghorns cause I didnt think the hatchery would send welsummers or speckled sussex in a hatchery choice. Since these are my first brown leghorns I wasnt sure what to expect as far as color. Ive been looking at brown leghorn pullets online and they are not fitting the pictures. Today after work I go into the coop to sit with the babies for a bit, when I notice the brown leghorns are getting alot of white on their faces and spots of white and black. I got speckled sussex. Yea! here is some pics for you all to confirm. Please tell me they are speckled sussex.
    This is Sparkle
    [​IMG]
    And this one not named yet any suggestions?
    [​IMG]

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Cute chicks! The unnamed looks like an owl in that picture, I'd go with that as a name. Or Hoot.

3. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    You are correct...they are Speckled Sussex. Great birds, if you spend any time with them at all, they tame very easily and they will follow you were ever you go. You are gonna love them!

4. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Well I was wanting some speckled sussex but I also wanted a few white egg layers. Glad I bought 2 Austra whites so at least I will have 2 white egg layers. They sure are much prettier than brown leghorns.

5. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Looks like a Speckled Sussex [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Austra white?

If it's an orp it will lay brown.

7. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Quote:An Austra White is a cross between an Australorp and a White Leghorn. According to the hatchery they will lay an off white cream colored egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by