when a chick dies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenbythesea, Jun 16, 2011.

1. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    so, on tuesday the 14th we got our 10 brown layers. they're just hatchery chicks but sexed. Anyways, this morning one little one would/couldn't stand up. We cordonned of an area so that they other chicks would stop walking on it and pecking it. We gave it, it's own water and food. It died a few minutes ago: it was sqwaking really loudly just before and then seemed to go into spasms and then died. It was in rigor almost immediately. My question is (because I don't know alot about chickens yet) will this effect my other chicks... I'm not taking it to the vet for diagnosis but do I need to be concerned for the other chicks? do I need to change on the chips.. just not sure what if any precautions I can take to make sure the rest don't die. Any help would be great. thanks

2. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I would change everything, and wash the food and water containers out really well, even the ones that were with the other chicks. We had one die a week ago of unknown reasons too. I would suggest just watching your chicks carefully, and if you notice any more acting strangely, post it on the emergencies section.

3. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Grandma always said, better to be safe than sorry. Change it all out, scrub up the waterer and feeder, and start fresh.

Sorry you lost one, that always hurts [​IMG]

4. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    You can if you want, but likely the cleaning will be of little value. Most of the time by the time one animal is sick enough with anything to die the bug will already be passed on to the others Either they are strong enough to resist the infection or they in turn get sick after the incubation period..

Good chance it is just an issolated case an there is no virus or bug associated with it.

Very much like that with raising meat birds, they keel over sometimes for no clear reason often in the first week and it is just a matter of cleaning the body out ASAP

5. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    I did remove the shavings from the box she was in and changed the feed and rinsed the waterer. the rest all look good but then again so did this one at 2 am. They're in the house for now and was going to put them in the coop tomorrow but now I'm thinking of waiting a little longer... not really sure and I really don't want any more to die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by