when a chicken is going to lay will there be a bump on her stomach

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pax12, Oct 21, 2008.

1. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    when a chicken is going to lay will there be a bump on her stomach where the egg is developing so u can tell if she is going to lay

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Usually you don't know she is gonna lay until she yells her fool head off for a while and then you go to see what is wrong and there is an egg.

3. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    thanks

4. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    Quote:[​IMG]

And how true!

6. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I must have very quiet chickens. Or I wasn't home. The only thing I noticed before finding our first egg was that all the hens seemed to be in the coop more than usual. Normally they are all out all day. The day previous it seemed everyone was in the coop for a few extra hours. If the alpha hen lays first, will the others kind of stay by her? I mean, if one hen(presumably the alpha) is the first to the coop at night and sort of keys the others it is time to go night night, will they follow her into the coop when she hangs out there other times as well? Just wondering.

7. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    Our nesting box is set up in the garage/ tack/ feed room :) We leave the garage door up about 2 feet so the hens can get in but the donkey & horse can not. We always know when the hen is in there because Ricky Roo will be standing and pacing outside the garage and crowing his fool head off!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by