1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When a hatch goes "too" long leg problems?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by okiemamachick, Mar 18, 2015.

1. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I was wondering if a hatch goes long (got whatever reason) but let's use the reason of your temps were a few degrees too cool and you're hatching on day like 24 is there a greater chance of leg problems in these chicks? I had a crummy first hatch and didn't have any hatch till day 23 and another on day 25 (assisted hatch) and two of the three have leg issues. One had a slightly splayed leg and/or a slipped tendon and the day 25 hatch had and leg twisted the completely wrong way. I don't think my parents are deficient in nutrients they have free feed of layer ration plus oyster shell and they free range....what happened?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I personally think so. My day 24 hatcher, according to my chick raising sister (he was my very first chick) looked as if he had leg problems. At least that's what she said when I put his first pic on FB....lol I didn't see a whole lot wrong as he was moving fine and it was my first ever chick. He proceeded to grow and be energetic and seemed perfectly healthy. (He's the one in my big profile pic with my son on my profile page.) The bigger he got I started seeing little things that I am certain are from the delayed hatch. (I am still glad he made it regardless.) He was very slow to feather in, and as a matter of fact he still has what looks like down feather under his adult feathers on his lower back and butt. And his balance is way off!!!! I can't tell exactly what it is with his legs, but he has never and most likely will never roost because he can't. He can't even stand on one foot w/o falling over. He walks and runs fine, just not coordinated. It just didn't present itself too much until he started getting bigger and putting the weight on. I have also noticead that when he is really active he is more prone to mouth breathing.

I don't know if there is an official correlation, but I do think developement delays affect the legs.

3. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the reply! Did she say what she thought was wrong in the baby pic? As a side I have noticed the one chick that has normal legs is very vigorous and seems healthier than when I've had chick's mailed or gotten them from tsc she's like meatier or more solid? She's half leghorn so it's not just a breed thing as leghorns aren't particularly big. so now I'm addicted to home grown chick's lol

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    She said it looked like they were slightly spraddled, but I don't think that was/is the case. It's almost as though they are slightly turned. Hard to explain. He's 6 months now. I'm just addicted to hatching period...lol I only have the ones I've hatched so I have no comparisons...lol

5. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I absolutely think there's a connection. My first three hatches were delayed until days 22-24, and every hatch I had at least one with leg/feet issues, and they were always among the last to hatch. I have assisted twice, both had leg issues, and both had to be culled within a week. I never assist any more.
    My last hatch I bumped my incubator up 1/2 a degree, and all but one hatched on day 21, all healthy

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's great...the all but one hatch, not the others. My assist, luckily, turned out great. She's beautiful healthy...but she was an assist because of maleposition and not because of delay. I think the why is important. That first hatch that gave me my 24 day survivor I also had a 25 day that was too weak and I helped. He died. There wasn't much hope to begin with becasue he was weak, but I couldn't not try. The reason for the assist, I think, makes a big difference to the probability of whether they make it or not. I think that probability is real low when it's such a delayed hatch.

7. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I agree

8. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the reply guys! In my case I helped because it had internally pipped and it had been over 24 hours since with no progress initially I only made a small external pip then it still didn't finish after another day of waiting so I helped but he pushed himself out once I made the shell hole big enough.

1 person likes this.
  9. lilcougar4

lilcougar4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Lake Isabella,California
    I have had crippled leg chicks and twisted beaks as well. You said you turned your incubator up a 1/2 degree ? What Temperature did you keep it at ????? thought I would ask ,because I am getting ready to put some eggs into my incubator in a couple of hours and don't want any more crippled chicks....[​IMG]

10. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    My display was reading 99.5, but I bought a Spot Check to double check at egg level, and had temps from 97.9 to 99.9, with an average of 99.0. I would rather be a little low than a little high, so I bumped the display to 100.0 on my next hatch and hatched 22 of 23. Had one hatch on day 20, 20 hatch on day 21, and the last hatched early on day 22. All healthy, no assists, no defects. My best hatch ever. FWIW, this was also the first time that I never opened the incubator until the hatch was complete. #22 was a surprise. I left it running for one more day after taking the chicks out, just in case

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by