when a hen becomes a mother... personality changes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by missychicky, Jun 25, 2010.

1. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    I have heard that after a hen becomes a mother they turn mean and won't let you near the chicks. I'm not sure if this is true...

I love all my chickens and I currently have a broody setting and she is a real sweety. Once the eggs hatch will she not love me anymore? All my chickens are totally tame and I care for them deeply. I don't want my broody to turn on me!

2. littlebantams

littlebantams Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Australia
    My RIR, who currently raising 5 week old chicks, was very nervous at first when I came close to the chicks, but as the chicks get older she has become more like she usually is.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I've gone through 4 broodies this year-LF black cochin-LF blue cochin-LF GLW-bantam dark brahma-oh make that 5 a black silkie too-I have always loved them up when they are on their nests-I rub from the top of their heads to their tails they seem to love it-I leave waterers ad feed by them and treats too-scrambeled eggs and cooked fish-by the time the eggs start to hatch I can literally raise momma right up and pull chicks out and none doesnt even budge or make a fuss-they know they have it good and this momma wont hurt them. Its great and for me their personalities havent changed. In fact some of them come runnng to me with chicks in tow for lovings-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by