When A Hen Goes Broody

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nickrex98, Jul 29, 2011.

1. nickrex98

nickrex98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    georgia
    OK my hen has gone broody on some eggs i was wondering is if i should remove her from the flock so she can hatch her eggs? oh and one more question once the chicks hatch is it OK to let the mom and chicks back with the flock(like maybe 48 hours after all the chicks have hatched

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't seperate my broody hens. I just isolate them in a locked dog crate for the first few days of setting and again at the time of hatch. A couple of days after hatch, when Mama Hen lets me know she's ready, I unlock the crate so she can bring her chicks out to meet the rest of the flock.

I use very large dog crates with room for the nest, food and water, and a place for the hen to use the bathroom away from her nest.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Some people isolate a broody while she is in the nest and some don't. There are benefits and risks each way. You might read my post on this thread. I think it could help you. If you do let her brood and hatch with the flock, please mark the eggs you want her to hatch and check under her daily to remove any other eggs that show up. This prevents a few different potential problems.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

Some people let a broody raise the chicks with the flock and some isolate the broody and her chicks. Again, there are risks and benefits both ways. I let my broodies raise the chicks with the flock so Mama can take care of the integration issues. I do keep the broody and her chicks in an isolated area for a day or two so the chicks can learn to eat and drink and all that without the other older chickens being around, but after that I let them loose with the flock.

Good luck! There is no right or wrong answer to these questions. Just different ways we do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by