When a hen is wearing a saddle, should...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gritsar, Jun 21, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    the criss cross straps in the front ride below her crop - across her lower chest - or above the crop, on the lower part of her neck?

Also, has anyone noticed a hen having problems emptying her crop due to the straps on the saddle?

I just put one on a hen that is in isolation due to rooster injury. She's ready to go back to her flock and I'm ready for her to go back to her flock, but she must wear the saddle for that to happen.

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    I don't think the straps are supposed to criss cross.
    If it is like the ones I have the straps loop under n around the wings then snap onto the upper corner of the saddle.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Boo, this one has the criss cross straps, designed for hens that are houdinis about getting the single strap ones off. Also, another strap that helps hold the shoulder pads on.

It's just like this one (scroll down to the double strap style):

http://www.hensaver.com/hen-apron-saddle-styles-colors-prices.html

Also, the ones I have include the shoulder pads.

The instructions say: "The apron is secured by pulling it over the chicken’s head and placing your chicken’s head through the loops made by the intersection of the two straps", but it doesn't tell you how high or low the straps should ride.

I'm giving Doe time on the porch to adjust to it before turning her out with the flock. Right now she's walking around backwards, trying to walk out from under it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Oh ok well maybe someone that uses that style will chime in.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Well I took the shoulder pads off hoping she would start to walk normally, but no such luck. I had to put her on her temporary roost. She couldn't figure out how to get up there, backwards. [​IMG]

I'm hoping by wearing it overnight she'll adjust to it. [​IMG]

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I used the saddles & my girls never grew their feathers back.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Oh I had good luck with using the saddles on my one brahma hen that needed one; she was Thor's favorite. The feathers grew back when she molted. You have to keep in mind that unless the entire feather is gone, shaft and all, it will not grow back until the bird molts.

I am now recycling the brahmas saddle for Doe and having to make some adjustments for it to fit her right. Doe isn't missing any feathers, I'm just trying to protect her side while her wound continues to heal.

8. Jenn1399

Jenn1399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Excuse the blunt newbie questions. What is a saddle & why would a hen
    wear one???

9. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Mine were above the crop. I'm not sure if that was the 'right' way, but I left it on my hen for almost a year (I probably should have taken it off at some point, but live and learn) and she did fine. She was a big eater but the saddle never seemed to cause a problem for her.

[​IMG]

I will say that the saddle was too small for her, so I did keep watch to make sure that it 'agreed' with her. I guess that's what happens when you order a banty saddle for a bantam X large fowl...

--
    As for the question about why saddles are necessary, the most common reason is over-mating. Roosters can get carried away and totally mess up a hen's back until it's raw and painful. I made my own last year because of feather picking. It also helps with injuries. Generally, anything that requires a covered back...

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've never used one that had anything in the crop area, only around the wings, which worked fine. Must admit I'd be tempted to remove any neck straps. I used a cut-it-yourself idea off here and cut them out of polarfleece. The pattern had 3 holes for two wings and the tail, and I skipped the tail fastening, too. I've used them 3 or 4 times; one hen wore one for months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by