1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

When a hen 'presents' herself...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tallyho, Aug 31, 2010.

1. tallyho

tallyho Songster

Aug 24, 2010
    I have a couple of my favorite hens who will always present themselves to me: flat, wings out. I was told that's the breeding position. As we have no rooster, the girls do not have to contend with an amorous roo. So I must be the choosen one. I always take those opportunities to pet them them all over. Is this actually a mating thing? Those are the girls who seem to go broody. Could this have anything to do with hormones and broodiness?

Thanks

2. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Songster

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    I don't know about broodiness because my 12 ISA Brown hens all do the mating squat, and they've never seen a rooster. I take the opportunity to pet them and sometimes pick them up. Yeah, they're spoiled.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

It's a mating and submissive thing. They are telling you that you are the apple of their eyes. And yes you must pet them and then feel rejected when they shake you off. [​IMG]
    I have not heard it is related to broodiness
    Imp

4. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Songster

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    yes oh chosen one they know there all girls and so they look up at gymous there and think this huge "hen" gives us treats pets us and provides for us sooooo Congrats Ms.Rooster till u get one!

5. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Songster

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Its a submision thing. You pet them when they do it and now they have learned. When they want attention all they need do is submit to let you know. Works too doesn't it. I have one that the Rooster will mate. First thing I know she comes over to me, submits and wants to be picked up and petted, then she'll go about her business looking for bugs or whatever. But she really likes her pettings.

Broody is a natural thing, different. I think more instinct than hormones.

6. tallyho

tallyho Songster

Aug 24, 2010
    Yes, I do feel a bit slighted when they decide they've had enough but I'll take what I can get. I love running my fingers through their feathers. The only two who don't want my love are my two oldest hens. They are the matriarchs and don't have time for frivolity like they used to.[​IMG] It's funny how the person with the goodies is so loved. I'm the dogs' fave too!

7. bakerjw

bakerjw Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    It is cute when they do this. Unfortunately I have 8 of them doing it at once at my feet every single time I go into their run. They squat and stomp their feet at me and try to trip me up lest I have a hidden handful of treats for them.

I do try to pick them all up and pet them under their wings and around their necks. They don't seem to be too bothered about it and it makes them a little easier to handle. They're really spoiled birds.

8. rcentner

rcentner Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Funny, I just had a hen do that for me this morning. I have never had any hen present for me, but I just got some white rocks that are about 4 months old and one of them squatted for me. So I grabbed a feather on her head like a roo would and then pet her. She got up and shook off like she was mounted. lol

I must be completely nuts, I have to admit, I felt very special for a moment. [​IMG]

9. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Songster

Jun 23, 2010
    I have many hens come to me and do this. Some will just stand by my feet and others will jump up on the perch where I am trying to get some attention. But mine didnt do this till they did the squat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: